• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Japanese ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK jacket

asiamiles

I just took delivery of this repro - by MacLeod - of the jacket worn by Kurt Russell (as Snake Plissken) in ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK. I know a couple of others have made repro's of Snake's jacket; Magnolia and, I think Aero, as I seem to recall a VLJ member buying an Aero. Anyway, this most certainly trumps the former. How good is it? Well, I actually think it looks better on me than the original jacket did on Kurt! :D To qualify that statement, I should that while I think EFNY is a great film but I never thought Kurt's "look" was so great and I don't think the jacket looks all that good on him.

The jacket has been just lightly worn as it was made in pre-distressed state, and it's one of the very few jackets that doesn't look the worse for it...that said, I wonder what a coat of Pecards would do it it? As yet, I'm not 100% whether to keep the jacket; money (more precisely, lack of it) could be a deciding factor. The only way I think this jacket could be bettered was if it was just slightly longer (for that I blame my body not the jacket, and even on me it isn't too short) and if it was black...MacLeod did make a black version (see the Macleod website linked below) last winter but I can't afford to pay the hefty retail price and the chances of one appearing on the secondary market seem very slim, since it seems new ones are hard enough to source. The pics below were taken by the seller.

http://www.macleod.jp/index.htm

snake1.jpg

snake2.jpg

snake3.jpg

asiamiles

bseal said:
There's a hip new design (based off an original) by the fellow in Seattle that has a similar feel.
Very nice indeed. And John looks good in it too; it's a much more flattering jacket than an A-2 IMO. Is it horse or goat?

It would seem hanging out with the vintage crowd at those shows that John has been bitten by the vintage bug and is now putting his expertise to more and more non-military jackets. How long before the GW range starts to match the size of the big boys? Heck, he's already up there with Toys McCoy and The Few. He just needs to make a few Steve McQueen items (there's surely stuff beyond THE GREAT ESCAPE that McQueen fans want) and next thing you know the Japanese will be publishing Good Wear catalogs.

767fo

I bought John's Racer jacket that is on his site. He made it with black steer and it is a beautiful jacket. He will be making me a Californian in seal horse and I am looking forward to it. You just don't see jackets like these around to often. I hope he expands his civilian line.

CBI

John tells me his "moto/civi" jackets are doing extremely well. Sounds like there are more styles in the works from him.

asiamiles

CBI said:
John tells me his "moto/civi" jackets are doing extremely well. Sounds like there are more styles in the works from him.

Yes, I've been in contact with John on just this subject.