• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket USAF MIL-J-4883-a

oose

Hi all,

just one this jacket, MIL-J-4883-a USAF with a nice 306th Bombardment wing patch, does anyone have any experience of these. I take it that its a 50's jacket but would love to hear any forum knowledge on the subject. I'll post better pics when it arrives.

These a pics from a Japanese site showing the same style jacket

yours stu

watchmanjimg

That's an example of the field jacket issued by the USAF in the late '50s and early '60s, prior to the standardization of the M-65 across the services. It used a button-in liner made of cotton/wool pile with nylon facing on the inside. Yours is the earlier version in sage green, but the later variant was in OG-107.

A

Anonymous

I love all that sage green stuff. I've been after one of those jackets in an xl for years.

That's a nice one you have there.

Dave

Tim P

I have one In Large Long. Mine is OG 107. i really like them. Mine needs a dry clean before i can wear it. I think a sage green one is a lucky find.

oose

Hi,

Thanks guys for info, I paid just £10 for it as I was the only bidder, the patch alone must be worth more than that I'm sure, looking forward to getting it. Its nice to get something from the B-47 era, they must have been quite a site.

yours stu

Tim P

Looks good. I have a 306th bomb patch. anyone able to replicate that nametape? never see broad web like that.

Peter Graham

I'd be keen to get my hands on one of those. Oose, I see your jacket is an XS short. What size jacket do you normally wear as it looks to fit you spot on ?

oose

Hi Peter,

I am a size 38 normally but a small will normally fit me, this one was advertised as small not XS but it was badly listed even the word jacket was spelt incorrectly so I can't complain. I was worried you were going to slip in and outbid me on this one! ;)

Here are some pics at SAC base in 1960-61

Tim,
although not a MIL-J-4883 it does show the double thickness tape

stu

Peter Graham

oose said:
Hi Peter. I was worried you were going to slip in and outbid me on this one! ;)
No chance of that mate. I didn't even know they existed. So what would a person type into ebay to find one ?

oose

I found this one by pure chance and did a little research on Japanese web sites. There are a couple up at the moment but not sure what size they are, but plain, I just had to have this one the patches really make the jacket, although I'd love an extra inch on the sleeves! That's the great ting about this hobby there are always new jacket your never heard of before waiting to be discovered!...just like those jackets the Convair pilots are wearing with the slash zip pockets...I want one too! :)

stu