• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket "language"

berserker3

Hi guys. When it says that a jacket is "issued", what does that mean? Is that a good thing that affects the price? Since I´m swedish, there are still a lot of stuff about vintage jacket "language" that I don´t get! :oops:
Kind regards
Mike

Roughwear

berserker3 said:
Hi guys. When it says that a jacket is "issued", what does that mean? Is that a good thing that affects the price? Since I´m swedish, there are still a lot of stuff about vintage jacket "language" that I don´t get! :oops:
Kind regards
Mike

Its easy to get confused! "Issued" means it was from a military contract and given to soldiers/airmen/sailors etc by their service's stores. Some jackets are non issued. They may have been made as part of a contract but were not given out, perhaps because the war ended. Civi jackets are non-issued items, but jackets bought personally by servicemen.

greyhound52

Right for example I have an issued G-1 from 1969 part of a government contract with the US Navy. However, the jacket was never issued to a service member. So I guess that makes it an issued non issued jacket :lol:

watchmanjimg

I guess it's more accurate to classify "issued" jackets as regulation-spec examples produced pursuant to a government contract, regardless of whether they were actually worn in service. This would distinguish the genuine article from civilian-spec items such as the ubiquitous Alpha MA-1s offered in every color of the rainbow.

Roughwear

watchmanjimg said:
I guess it's more accurate to classify "issued" jackets as regulation-spec examples produced pursuant to a government contract, regardless of whether they were actually worn in service. This would distinguish the genuine article from civilian-spec items such as the ubiquitous Alpha MA-1s offered in every color of the rainbow.

Good point, but if the jacket was a regulation spec and NOT given to a serviceman, but it gathered dust in the stores, it technically wasn't issued to anyone for use athough it was military issue jacket!

Vcruiser

I would think that with a military contract label from the maker...then sent to military supply...it has become a military possession...or military spec. "issue" jacket...whether ever "issued" to military personel or not.
Van

berserker3

Thanks, you guys! So, does that mean that an issued jacket sells for a higher price? (depending on the condition, of course!) I´ve also noticed that not all sellers on Ebay use the term "issued/non- issued". Wouldn´t that be a sales- argument?
Kind regards
Mike

Atticus

Vcruiser said:
I would think that with a military contract label from the maker...then sent to military supply...it has become a military possession...or military spec. "issue" jacket...whether ever "issued" to military personel or not.
Van

Yep. At least with respect to jackets made since the late fifties, if its got a proper DA, DSA, DLA or SPO number on its tag, IMO, it is presumptively an issued jacket. Of course, that presumption could be rebutted by evidence that the tag is a fake, a repro or whatever.

AF

zoomer

Roughwear said:
Civi jackets are non-issued items, but jackets bought personally by servicemen.
True, they could be - but strictly speaking, they could have been bought just as easily by civilians.

I think the term that best pinpoints a non-issue item used by a servicemember is private purchase.