• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket Art reconstruction

Andrew

For a long time I have been thinking about trying to produce a reconstruction of the artwork that once adorned one of my originals. The artwork is very faded and when I got it I knew nothing of the owner, his Squadron or the Aircraft he served in. As the artwork is quite faded it wasn't easy to make out the plane's name but it was pretty clearly "6 Hits and a Miss" which was the name of a popular band of the time. If you've been around the forum a few years you would have seen some of the research I posted on it as I only have two painted originals and I really love painted jackets.

Through loads of net scouring and the asistance of some of the members here and others I was able to piece together some of it's secrets. I found out that it had belonged to a Technical Sergeant who was a radio op/ Gunner on a B-26 operating with 575th Sq, 391st BG. He was also a veteran of an incredible 69 missions but unfortunately I don't have any details about them though i'm sure if you could get into the Akron Archive that info would be there, plus he probably has some Rels that could be contacted.

That's him in the jacket pre tour second from the right;
391stbga044002.jpg

Today Peter G posted an Ebay auction for pinup girly transfers and scouring through them came across a pose that was very similar to the faded outline on my jacket, so that combined with current thinking that I may be selling it in the future accellerated my idea to recreate the artwork in photoshop.

It is pretty much an approximation in terms of font style as i can't exactly match the handpainted '40's fonts and I really can't say what the pinup was wearing in the original but I can say that i'm 100% certain that the pose is the same- as I overlaid the image over the original it fit exactly.

Anyhow, here's the result suitably aged to cover up imperfections in ability- I loved the process and it wasn't all that hard.

As it is now- it's hard to pick out the images in photos, it's much clearer in real life;
IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

As it may have been- you can see the outline of the actual pinup overlaid on the image- I left it there intentionally to show how close it is;
entirebackweatheredflat.jpg

This may be a good technique for visualizing future jacket art imagery. Drop me a line if you want tips.

TankBuster

That is really neat!!!! I'm sure that is pretty close to what it looked like when
freshly painted. Bummer that it was lost to time. In a way though, you brought
it back for one last look. ;)

dujardin

in the first searches i start month ago on your ''request'' , i found nothing really valuable.
but today i try again and foud this

44 P MARTIN, MAX M., 2LT, 0686574

CP

B PALMER, WAYNE R., 1LT, 0681761

FE SHACKELFORD, CLAUDE C., SSGT, 19174305

RG SEBRING, KEENOY F., TSGT, 19167324

AG CHRIST, ROBERT E., SSGT, 33621249

SOURCE:

From the softback history, on 05/08/1944 hydraulics were damaged leading to collapse

of the landing gear at touchdown (41-31972). The crew listed here was provided by

Bob Christ at the end of the year 2001. He did not provide the name of a co-pilot. Bob

advises that their airplane was 31716 and that its name was "Six Hits and a Miss." The

Miss, a picture of a girl, was featured on the nose. The full number was probably 41-31716,

as it was a 575th airplane. All of these people were listed in Par 4, SO-1, 9th Bombardment

Division, 09/25/44, which named only individual aircrew personnel for return to the ZI.

i found this on this link

http://www.391stbombgroup.com/391stbga_001.htm

hope it help a little.

byeeeeeeee marcel

dujardin

i think i have a lucky hand this time.

sawing the girl on the link that Peter gave us, i remember , i was not sure but i was sure to have already saw this pin-up somewhere.....but where, no more idea.
this time i try search with Sebring Kennoy, with tsgt 19167324................ no result
than i start a search with radio-gunner and i discover the pin-up back.
alas not on your B26 but on a B25 serving in Corsica

WalkerHarris.jpg

i found that on this link

http://images.google.be/imgres?imgurl=h ... 7%26sa%3DN

different plane ....same lady ; hope it help to recreate your pin-up on your jacket

byeeeeeeee marcel

TankBuster

With the vets Serial #(19167324) and the planes # 41-31716 provided by Marcel,
it will be very easy to further research both the man and the plane through
National Personnel Record Center under the Freedom of Information Act.
Just send the vets name and serial number, and they will copy all records they have on him.
I will warn that it is kind of hit and miss as far as what you will get back though.

TankBuster

Here is the NPRC request for service record info:

National Personnel Records Center 12 May 2007
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Ave
St. Louis, MO
63132-5100

Gentlemen, I am seeking information on a US Army WWII soldier named Lawrence D Martin ASN 33533580 (example).
I would like to request any FOIA releasable information you may have for him such as campaigns, awards and photographs.

I agree to pay any FOIA fees associated with this request. __signature______________________

My mailing address:

XXXXXXXXXXXX

Make sure you sign the request. I also include my phone# and email address, and on two occasions the clerks have called me to get more info

Andrew

TankBuster said:
Just send the vets name and serial number, and they will copy all records they have on him.
I will warn that it is kind of hit and miss as far as what you will get back though.

Hey Jeff, i'm hoping for 6 Hits and a Miss :lol:

Thanks very much for all this help guys, it all adds to complete the picture. I had found that earlier info but had misplaced it so thanks for digging it out again Marcel.

I'll have to get that letter together and see what comes back.

Doing some more poking around in google images it seems that she is a Vargas girl and there's several versions of her. I came across a blog by a guy who said a couple of years ago he had found a collection of period Vargas calendars dating from 1942 onwards. I've sent him an email so there's a vague hope something might come from that.

Andrew

Ok, this is probably wearing thin by now, but this is really addictive....

I've refined the fonts and the Miss and redone a version. I reckon it's now pretty close to what it may have looked like. Thanks for flagging those decals Peter, for me this has been a fab experience finding out more of the secrets of this jacket.

final-1.jpg

I copied and cut out the October girl in photoshop and superimposed it on the jacket shot and it is a perfect match- which makes me think they would have simply cut out the picture and traced around it onto the jackets they painted. Actually you can still see a faint incision/ resistant paint edge in places where the picture used to be. As I descrease the transparency of the image you can see the exact fit. This may explain the way they appear to have produced quite accurate looking pinups in jacket art.

A26HitsandaMiss.jpg

Just for fun and as I can't afford to have Jerome paint it for me I've mocked up my GW Dubow with the art.....at least i can pretend :D

6HITSWEATH.jpg

TankBuster

It really was a GREAT looking jacket in its' day! There's no doubt that's the same pinup.
Nice work on the recreation.

Andrew

TankBuster said:

Jeff, reading through the website they say they require a form SF180 to be filled out (I have a pdf of it). Have you ever had to include that with your requests?

Also, is it possible to search a person using a name and number online? I only have these details and ive been searching everywhere for him;

"Lt PG Rogers 0-669429" (at least that's what it looks like but the number doesn't look right to me).

Btw, I managed to pick up this last week. Should be really interesting to see the original when it arrives!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=016

TankBuster

Hey Andrew,

I've never had to include any other forms. I have just mailed the
request to the address I listed, and that's it. The Freedom of Information
Act is the law that allows this research to be done.
Just use the same letter outline that I posted, and mail it to the address,
and you should be just fine. If being from out of the country poses a
problem, just let me know, and I can take care of it.

You have a correct serial number for Rogers, and enough info to put in
a request. They require, 1st initial, last name, and serial number,

Super cool calendar!

Best of luck! Jeff

dujardin

splendid work to make the recreation of the art paint of your jacket.
for sure she will be great when complete, if you decide to repaint the jacket.
yes yes yes do it

byeeeeeeee marcel

Andrew

This is now unfortunately the last bit of investigative fun i'll be having with this one- kinda dumb but I had to sell it somewhat hurriedly and I didn't get time to follow up the link that Jeff gave me to the archive- thanks anyway Jeff and i'll use it for something else..

The 1944 original calendar I bought which contains miss October arrived today- lucky as i'm shipping the jacket shortly, and as I suspected she is an exact fit for the artwork so there's the pudding! I made a colour copy of the original and cut that out and overlaid it and it's an exact fit. Probably the first time in 65 years that the two have been back together.

So that was a bit of fun, don't know what it's achieved but I suppose it's a bit of a clue as to how some/ other jacket babes may have been painted on. I'm sure that the girl painted on the jacket wasn't as detailed or finessed as the calendar girl but they did try to get the basics right by tracing her. Gonna be hard to see her go. :cry:

I'll post detail shots of all the other girls for that year in a separate post. Peter Graham you now owe me 100 bucks for starting this off with those pinip stickers!

RIMG00452.jpg

RIMG00512.jpg

RIMG00662.jpg

RIMG00472.jpg

RIMG00502.jpg

dujardin

visiting the link about 91st BG, i discover your lady on a B17

so niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..................

rhapsody in red
big20rhap.jpg

byeeeeeeeeeeeeee marcel

A

Anonymous

Ten crew members is probably why they named it so ,instead of six hits and a miss .

Jeff