• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's Getting Better All the Time....GW United Sheeplined

talleyho

I couldn't agree more !

I have just purchased this very jacket from John, and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival!

Thanks again, John.

CBI

talleyho - congrats. So you must be one of the guys (like me) who is the same size as John. I am SO glad you purchased this one as I emailed John about it last night :eek:

Looks great -

talleyho

Thanks, CBI.

John (bless his heart) took pity on me because I bought the shrunken United which didn't fit. He let me know this one would be becoming available, and I didn't hesitate.

Cobblers161

You lucky bugger. I may consider gaining weight.

It seems that this new HH is making a major difference to the appearance of most contracts. I have to be honest and say that the United never really held an enormous amount of appeal and I always gravitated towards the Bronco. After seeing this latest my opinion has been altered.

Weasel_Loader

You leather junkies got good eyes for this stuff. After collecting nylon for so many years, I've finally decided to step into the realms of A-2s and I honestly can't see a difference between the different horse hides. I can't decide if I want a Roughwear, Weber, Dubow or Sheeplined. They all look outstanding! ;)

CBI

this is meant in the most positive way possible:

the new HH from Japan used by John is so exceptional that "which" contract seems to matter a little less than before - they ALL look terrific! The details of each contract tend to be slightly less important/noticable (still very important but ....) vs. the overall amazing look of these jackets. Others might disagree with the view but I for one keep looking at the overall jacket not so much the rounded collar tips of my russet Perry vs. the more pointed tips of my russet Werber, etc. as I have done with jackets with lesser hides. This is a good thing, I do still LOVE and appreciate the details.

Again, there is not the slightlest slam/critique of the jacket details just the different amazing landscape with these new hides. Although I still plan on buying a few more GW's, I don't have that urge I used to have to keep buying as I now have the perfect repros. With the change in the weather, I have been able to wear my GW's and they just keep getting better. One of these days I will ask the wife to take some photos! :oops:

Andrew

I have to sympathize with you Danny, as a relative A-2 newbie of about 6 years I also have trouble discerning the differences, even though my work requires me to have an eye for detail. As I see it for me there are two main areas of interest- the first is the particulars of the fit and the second are the details.

I would love to see a spreadsheet of all the contracts with the Maker listed down the left and all the different criteria across the top, but it would take a Legend to be able to put that together. Hey JC, how about it?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Andrew said:
... it would take a Legend to be able to put that together. Hey JC, how about it?

Patiently waiting forum members are going to love you, and your suggestions, Andrew. ;)

Andrew

Forgot to post some shots of pre-production GW USL, I believe it was the 6th made, for comparison. I've only worn it once out since decoration. The shape is great.
Apologies for the rather huge shots.
Headless hands on hips...
508.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

Dr H

Andrew said:
Forgot to post some shots of pre-production GW USL, I believe it was the 6th made, for comparison. I've only worn it once out since decoration. The shape is great.
Apologies for the rather huge shots.
Headless hands on hips...
508.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

Hi Andrew
Sorry if you've answered this before in a previous post, but what variety of hide is that?
The variation in colour is really intriguing and it puts me in mind of my resprayed Perry - I could go a HH Perry in that... :D
Cheers
Ian

Andrew

Sorry Ian, I missed your question. It's Bonanza Mesa Cowhide but I don't think John uses it anymore. Quite wierd stuff really as when it gets wet in the rain it develops those light areas which can be buffed out if you scrub and scrunch the leather agains itself or heat it. I think it's due to oils in the skin being brought back to the surface with friction (heat).

The first time it happened I panicked a bit but it is totally reversible and you can repeat the process under a tap then warm iron it over a towel and it's back to its original condition. I have left it in the battered state and I didn't want to mess with it once painted. It's a bit thicker and softer than HH- at least the stuff i have on my later GW, and the memory of the hide isn't as strong as HH so the creases aren't as pronounced over time. It has more of a drape to it.

Hope that helps.