• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Navy patch authentic and help needind ID'ing it

Peter Graham

I recently recieved this patch with a Korean war era G-1. It was never sewn on the jacket but has been applied previously. The seller claims it's an authentic VP-8 patch but being a complete patch novice I'd like some opinions. The patch is thin leather with the design painted on in matt colours. The paint is very thin but ridges are disernable, especially on the wings of the wasp. The patch is very pliable and can be bent nearly over on itself with no cracking of the paint. I don't want to bend it too far in case I damage it. The paint does not glow. The backing is stuck on and is a red HBT material. What do you guys think, is it original ? Help would also appreciated in ID'ing the patch. I've tried searching for VP-8 on the net but I've come up with nothing. I eagerly await your input.
ma1001-2.jpg

ma1002-1.jpg

ma1003-1.jpg

ma1004-2.jpg

442RCT

Dunno if that's a genuine VP 8 patch or not, I've painted a few like that and looking at the artwork, it wouldn't be difficult to copy.

As for VP 8's history, here's a website dedicated to naval VP squadrons:
http://www.vpnavy.org/vp8.html

TankBuster

Peter,
I could go either way on this one. Some of the reasons we spoke of via PM makes me think it is original.
Then I see these closeups, and I don't see the aging in the paint I would expect. The whitish background
also appears to be rubbed vs aged naturally. I wish I could give you more of a solid answer, but Navy patches
are not one of my strongest points.

Maverickson

Yes, I think that I found your mystery patch as I ran across one that highly resembles yours. It came to me out of the blue while doing a long time favorite past time with me researching USN attack squadron histories as related to my Father. It seems as though the image of the Bee has long been associated with the USN bombing or attack squadrons. That turned out to be the first clue as to the origin of your patch. Furthermore, you should be happy to know that more than likely this patch in fact dates WW-2.

My understanding of the origin for designations of the more early USN aviation squadrons became heightened while going through O'Hare Airport earlier this month. While looking at a facsimile of Butch's aircraft came an explanation. A particular squadron's lettered prefix has always designated the type of aircraft. However, It seems that early on in the War squadrons took the numbered suffix from the number of the carrier to which it was attached. The number eight seen on the patch could have stood for (CV-8) USS Hornet and in the end this fact has solved the riddle.

vb8_1942_insig.jpg

So far I see that this squadron played a roll in the Battle of Midway but (CV-8) USS Hornet was sunk soon thereafter. Your VB-8 much like Torpedo Squadron Eight (VT-8) also came off of the USS Hornet which was later decommissioned early on in the War. So far, I have seen that there are two different versions of this VB-8 squadron patch. If this patch of yours is truly original what makes this particular patch intrinsically more valuable is that it would have come from a very short lived combat squadron as VB-8 may never have existed long after loosing it's ship. I am no expert but considering the prices I have recently been paying for original and long standing Navy squadron patches from true combat tested squadrons this new patch of yours may very well be worth many times more than the jacket! If I had only known the association I too would have gladly purchased this jacket & patch at auction just to have received this patch! It makes you wonder if there really is a connection between the 55J14 jacket you purchased and the VB-8 patch? Not to mention, if the Flea had originally properly identified this squadron patch in the first place he probably would not have let this patch gone with your jacket just to have sweetened the pot! What do you think?

All things considered it makes one wonder about the true origin of this jacket. What I can say is what a great score :cool: !

Cheers

Peter Graham

Wow ! Thanks Dave. Seems like it's a pretty historic and rare patch.. The only remaining question is, is it original ? As I've said, I know next to nothing about patches but a lot of vintage items have passed through my hands and it just has the feel and smell of an original.