• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a real WW2 jacket?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
greyhound52 said:
Unknown maker contract 1756

One of three late contacts awarded during fiscal year 1944 to make up a shortage of small sizes.

The other two being Dubow, AC1755 (11631), and Bronco AC1761.

Swing

deeb7 said:
awarded.....to make up a shortage of small sizes.

If you have any evidence to show this is anything other than speculation, I'd love to see it.

The speculation that I've always heard is that Dubow, Bronco and Perry all had had prior contracts, they expected to have more contracts, and had material orders in the pipeline. They had invested in making more A-2s, and the govt had pulled the rug out from under them. Rather than leave them, and their suppliers, high and dry, the AAF ordered more jackets. I don't quite buy that though, because A-2 orders had been stopped two years prior by the time summer '44 rolled around. They knew in April '42 there weren't going to be any more A-2 contracts awarded after May or June '42. To be expecting new A-2 contracts in '43 or '44 doesn't make sense.

As for needing more small sizes. There would have been over 1 million A-2s already produced by summer '44, and the jacket had for all intents and purposes been replaced by the B-10, and contracts for it's replacedment (the B-15) had already been awarded. I honestly can't see there being a real need for 50,000 more size 36, 38 and 40 A-2s.

I can't say for sure why those three A-2 contracts were awarded in summer '44, and I doubt anyone else can either.

~Swing

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Swing said:
If you have any evidence to show this is anything other than speculation, I'd love to see it.

I can't say for sure why those three A-2 contracts were awarded in summer '44, and I doubt anyone else can either.

~Swing

Sorry Swing .... when I posted it was my own conclusion, and the possibility of an alternative explanation didn't occur to me.

We know from the number of A-2's appearing with the shoulder transfers, that they were still being refurbished, and reissued in quantity during 1944. So if existing units could still order replacement A-2s, it seemed logical, to me, that they would want to maintain a complete size range.