• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it possible to remove paint from a cloth jacket?

Tim P

Paint on cloth is there for the duration as it gets into the weave but also into the fibres of the cloth.

better duck

Tim P said:
Paint on cloth is there for the duration as it gets into the weave but also into the fibres of the cloth.
Even so, there must be a way to dissolve the paint without dissolving the cloth(fibres) as well? Probably will depend on the kind of paint it is (acrylic, latex and what have you)

Tim P

Acetone will dissolve acrylic paint. It is not the same however as lifting it off leather. Oil based paints are altogether more permanent. anything strong enough to dissipate the cellolose in oil based paint will rot or fatally compromise the cotton too.

bazelot

Thanks guys. I will probably try to scratch off as much as I can but I will not use any chemicals I guess. I will see when I receive the jacket. I am buying it to make it look mint anyway. I am just really interested in the historical significance of the jacket. It's not everyday that you can buy a jacket that flew off the deck of both the USS Bunker Hill AND the USS Essex. I started doing research and reaching out to people. I will post better pics and hopefully the result of my research as soon as I get the jacket.

better duck

Wouldn't contacting a museum conservator be an idea? If you find the appropriate museum, the conservator there should be an expert at the question we are attempting to answer here.

bazelot

The jacket shipped out today from Oregon so I should get it tomorrow or the day after. I will see the extend of the damage. Then again I am not buying the jacket to wear it but mostly for the historical value.