• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IrvinG Jacket Anyone

DylanDog

This listing for an RAF WW2 sheepskin jacket is currently on eBay UK.

As can be seen in photo 3 of the label the jacket is apparently ‘an original IRVING R.A.F. flying jacket which has been made on the authentic machinery using the same quality leather as during WW2’

Although not a wholly accurate repro (at least it doesn’t have pockets) the jacket quality doesn’t appear bad, albeit with a golden teddy bear fleece.

The country of manufacture can’t be seen but I presume the letter ‘G’ was added to Irvin to try and prevent any copyright/trademark issues with Aviation Leathercraft.

B-Man2

This listing for an RAF WW2 sheepskin jacket is currently on eBay UK.

As can be seen in photo 3 of the label the jacket is apparently ‘an original IRVING R.A.F. flying jacket which has been made on the authentic machinery using the same quality leather as during WW2’

Although not a wholly accurate repro (at least it doesn’t have pockets) the jacket quality doesn’t appear bad, albeit with a golden teddy bear fleece.

The country of manufacture can’t be seen but I presume the letter ‘G’ was added to Irvin to try and prevent any copyright/trademark issues with Aviation Leathercraft.

I think if you look closer at the very top of the label above the stitch line it says something to the effect that the jacket is a copy or some other wording…, of an original RAF Irvin .

Last edited:

Enigma1938

There are fragments of a label visible saying "made in.... china (i bet)"
I dunno what's your intention to post this jacket here but I doubt that thing will get some love here.

DylanDog

I wasn’t aware that one is expected to provide justification with any posts, however since you asked the intention was merely try to find more about the jacket manufacturer and widen my admittedly limited knowledge a little.

Although I’ve not seen in the flesh or handled many of their sheepskin jackets I’m aware that there are/were those such as Eastman, Aero, Aviation Leathercraft, Cirrus, Cockpit Clothing Co and a few others, however I was intrigued by the ‘G’ being added at the end of Irvin and thought someone on here may have come across this particular manufacturer before and could pass on some of their insight.

Micawber

Judging by the cleanliness of the raw edges here and there it has no age to it which is confirmed by the “made in” tag.