• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introduction and 1940 RAF in Norway photos

jonnyboy

Hi all,

This is my first post although I've been a member on the forum for a while now (not had anything interesting to say until now!). First, I'd just like to say how great I think the forum is, and thank everyone for their informative and entertaining posts.

I've been interested in flying/flight jackets for a few years, and used to own a number of original Irvin jackets (2 Coastal Command, early/mid war and a late war multi-panel), and a few G-1s. At the moment, I only have a 50s Cagleco G-1, which I love to bits, but when funds permit, I hope to get either another original Irvin or an ELC repro one. Both my grandads were in the RAF in the war, and when I still owned my last original Irvin, my mum's dad laughed and said "That's just like the one I got in 1941. Decent jackets but they were always too bloody short!". :roll:

Anyway, I don't want to rattle on, so here are a few photos from an old May 1940 edition of Match magazine that I found at a car boot sale here in France. I hope you enjoy them.

RAF4sml.jpg

RAF1sml.jpg

RAF3sml.jpg

RAF2sml.jpg

Regards,

Jon

dujardin

Hello,

first post, good post;
good photos

your avatar is an english name, the post talk about Norway and the text is in french ??????????????
Where are you from ?

byeeeeeeeeeeee marcel

jonnyboy

Hi Marcel,

Glad you like the photos. Yes, I'm English, but have lived in the south west of France for nearly three years (not far from the Pyrenees).

Regards,

Jon

Roughwear

Welcome to the forum Jon. Great pictures. All the Irvins are the typical two panel early War variety. It was either cold in their hut or they were on standby to scramble wearing their Irvins.

jonnyboy

Hi Andrew. Thanks for the welcome - glad you like the pics.

I'm sure they were very cold in Norway, although I don't know how 'staged' these photos are. As they were for a magazine shoot, I can imagine a bit of "now you sit there and look natural"!

I can't help thinking that the guy in the cover shot (who looks to be the guy on the right snoozing in the chair in another photo), looks like a young Michael Winner!

Regards,

Jon