• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting M65 thing going on....

watchmanjimg

Apparently in at least some units during a certain era the major command patch was authorized for wear over the right breast pocket instead of on the pocket itself. Either that, or perhaps we're seeing a coincidence involving two examples where the MAJCOM patch was erroneously placed there by civilians after the jackets left military service. I strongly suspect the former scenario, but perhaps the Air Force vets among us can shed additional light on the subject.

Tim P

I am intrigued that the same seller should have two similarly configured jackets in such a short timespan.

Weasel_Loader

Command patches were always worn on right patch pocket. Wing patch would go on left pocket with Squadron patch or miscellaneous patches (Bomb Competition, etc.) above right pocket. In my case, once I was awarded my missile badge, I omitted the wing patch for the missile badge and put my squadron patch above right pocket.

I'm willing to bet the TAC patch on the field jacket was sewn after service by forgetful vet or collector. There is a small chance that during the early to mid 1970s, they had a different policy for patch placement. :?

watchmanjimg

Weasel_Loader said:
There is a small chance that during the early to mid 1970s, they had a different policy for patch placement. :?

Danny, this was my thought as well but the same Ebay seller has had two such jackets from two different commands. Makes me wonder . . .

Tim P

Especially as the seller runs a business invisibly mending vintage denim.

I don't much mind if the jacket I bought is put together as I paid under going rate for it. Dialogue with the seller has shown him to be a decent sort. I may ask him.

RCSignals

He says it here

Please note that I have a large selection of Viet Nam era M-65 field jackets. All professionally processed, laundered, repaired when necessary, all in solid, neat, well presentable condition. If you like this coat but it's not your size, please contact me and I will be able to show you a bunch to choose from. Also, if you like the tags/tapes/patches attached to this item, they can be transferred too to your coat of choice.