• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting L.W Foster 7823 (aer)

Skip

I always thought the pocket flaps had more scallop to a 55j14, and its hard to see with the way they've shot the images, its possible. You'd get a better idea if the jacket was zipped up and flat.

as for the USN stencil, In all the contracts that had it I've seen so many variations, even with the same maker that its hard to pinpoint a stencil to a maker. great jacket though

Jaguar46

This was the first G1 contract 1952. It may well have been some left over 55J14's with a different label.

Maverickson

Hi All,

Yes, that is one unusual 55J14 Foster Jacket! I find that particular jacket most intriguing. As an avid vintage USN jacket collector, if it were only just a tad larger it would definitely have been on my most wanted list.

In looking at my 55J14 Foster jacket currently in my collecton & has what I believe to be a nicely scalloped pocket flap. That jacket's pocket flap can be seen directly below.

Foster55J14Pocket004-1.jpg

From the angle offered in that auction's provided photos it is difficult to tell whether or not these two pockets are exactly but same. However, to me they do look similar. In any event, that 55J14 in question is definitely a high bred and very remarkable. It is jacket's just like this most unusual Foster that keep me looking :)

I hope that a member picks it up so that we could enjoy some more detail pix.

Cheers, Dave

chamboid

The design is a favorite of mine, really like the detail of the pocket stitching for the pen slot, a detail only present on G&F and L.W Foster jackets. i have two Foster AN-J-3a's which are pretty much identical to the 55J14, though have the button that John is using on his Arnoff ver on the GW site.

I would love someone to do a repro of this jacket as it's perfect for me, not as wide across the shoulders as 55J14 or as long on the body as M-422's and also have the salmon-red lingin which is a nice touch.

The two I have (one falling apart in a 36, but is painted nicely, an done in a 38) both have the more common USN stamp on the collar, so it is interesting to see how that crossed over from AN-J-3a to 55J14. I just wonder how this jacket then changed so much to the later version's with no scalloped pockets and slightly different collar shape.

Maverickson

chamboid said:
I would love someone to do a repro of this jacket as it's perfect for me, not as wide across the shoulders as 55J14 or as long on the body as M-422's and also have the salmon-red lingin which is a nice touch.

Sounds a little bit like a fantasy jacket :D . However, I am aware that John Chapman is in fact reproducing a 55J14 L.W. Foster jacket that appears to be spot on and an example can be seen here http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sa ... _0002.html on his website. Not to mention, I've seen one of those same Foster jacket’s first hand.

Speaking of which, this past October, I was lucky enough to get out to the Seattle area. While there, I made it a point to go out and visit with John. I had a great time. During the course of our visit I tried on one his 55J14 L.W. Foster reproductions. A great jacket but I've already got a fine wearable original.

The true intent of my visit with John was to get on his list for a reproduction A-2. I’m happy to say that I’ve now got my first custom made A-2 Good Wear in the works! My first choice was a Monarch A-2. Not to mention, & to add a bit of authenticity I supplied him with an original same era blackened brass sunburst Talon zipper assembly. This pending Monarch jacket with that original zipper assembly should make it difficult to tell if this jacket is in fact an original or reproduction.

I'm really looking forward to that one.

Cheers, Dave

chamboid

I'm on 'the list' to, just swaying between, M-422 Monarch, Dubow 20960 and no name 23383, there was a Doniger in there, but i changed my mind, but then again i have a year to decided. think it's going to be an A-2.

Look up the Foster AN-J-3a though, as you said it is a fantasy jacket, all the perfect details. Maybe one day I'll persuade BK or GW to do one.