• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info About This Jacket?

QueenyTheDog

Hi all!
I am completely new to vintage leather jackets or leather jackets in general, however I frequent the goodwill near me (central Texas) and found this jacket today and had to have it. From what I could see this was an ‘air force US Army’ vintage looking real leather jacket. The lining was embroidered with ‘Major J. Donahue’ and had only 1 tag on the lining, made from leather as well as fabric on top of that, and embroidered with the same bright yellow stitching.This label is pictured saying
‘TYPE A-2
DWC NO.30-1415
AC CONTRACT
ORDER.NO35-098 AC-755
PROPERTY
AIR FORCE US.ARMY’
from the short time I have had this jacket the embroidery has begun to decay and fall out in teeny threads making me think this jacket is old. The lighting I took the pictures in washed the jacket out, it’s closer to a dark brown than the black it looks in the photos. This jacket has quite a lot of detailing on it with the 4 pockets (2 inside pictured with the inscription, and 2 outside), multiple snap buttons (2 at the bottom below the zipper, 2 at each of the ‘cuffs of the arms’, 1 for each pocket as a closure, and 2 at the collar to button it down), as well as the leather bands with a loop almost? (unsure what to call these) spanning from the collar to the shoulder, and the most interesting based on another thread I had found about the zipper pulls - the strange kite shaped zipper pull made from the same leather with and aglet? in the middle, and the almost paperclip looking zipper.
As I said I am completely unfamiliar with leather jackets or anything of this sort and was wondering if anyone could provide any sort of information about what jacket this could be?, or if this is authentic? totally open to any information y'all could find!! Thanks!
IMG_9901.jpeg
IMG_9900.jpeg
IMG_9899.jpeg
IMG_9894.jpeg
IMG_9896.jpeg
IMG_9897.jpeg
IMG_9895.jpeg
IMG_9892.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21

Silver Surfer

Agreed with above, and will add that is made of goat skin. Purchased for small coin? Good. Enjoy it even though it is not mil spec. Btw: over the years I’ve been making my annual Texas trip and have come across several original wwll a-2s. Dunno why, but a lot of originals ended up in Texas.

MikeyB-17

It wouldn’t surprise me if that wasn’t a private purchase jacket made for someone military-the embroidered name on the lining is making me wonder. It has a lot of features found not just on A-2’s (epaulettes, collar snaps) but also other military jackets, like the ‘paper clip’ zip. It’s also made of goat, a favourite in India and the Middle East, where a lot of leather garment makers can be found, who have been known to knock up garments for serving personnel stationed in such places.

Pilot

As a little side note.. why should any military personel of the nowadays USAF/USN pay a higher amount of $$$ for a shitty mall jacket if he has access to „obsolete „ formally issued gear ?
Issued A-2 and G-1 are sold for less than 30 US$ / a piece. in USAF /USN surplus outlets … in US military bases..?
Cotton or field gear and other stuff are sold by the kg/pound…the crude gross weight of maybe 500 items…
Why any military or military connected … should waste his $$$ for something illegit not military not issued ? he can have the original for less..???
My 0.1 cent experience… here in several USAF USARMY outlets..

MikeyB-17

I have no idea. But I know it’s something that was/is done. It’s been talked about here previously, a long time ago, admittedly.

Hi all!
I am completely new to vintage leather jackets or leather jackets in general, however I frequent the goodwill near me (central Texas) and found this jacket today and had to have it. From what I could see this was an ‘air force US Army’ vintage looking real leather jacket. The lining was embroidered with ‘Major J. Donahue’ and had only 1 tag on the lining, made from leather as well as fabric on top of that, and embroidered with the same bright yellow stitching.This label is pictured saying
‘TYPE A-2
DWC NO.30-1415
AC CONTRACT
ORDER.NO35-098 AC-755
PROPERTY
AIR FORCE US.ARMY’
from the short time I have had this jacket the embroidery has begun to decay and fall out in teeny threads making me think this jacket is old. The lighting I took the pictures in washed the jacket out, it’s closer to a dark brown than the black it looks in the photos. This jacket has quite a lot of detailing on it with the 4 pockets (2 inside pictured with the inscription, and 2 outside), multiple snap buttons (2 at the bottom below the zipper, 2 at each of the ‘cuffs of the arms’, 1 for each pocket as a closure, and 2 at the collar to button it down), as well as the leather bands with a loop almost? (unsure what to call these) spanning from the collar to the shoulder, and the most interesting based on another thread I had found about the zipper pulls - the strange kite shaped zipper pull made from the same leather with and aglet? in the middle, and the almost paperclip looking zipper.
As I said I am completely unfamiliar with leather jackets or anything of this sort and was wondering if anyone could provide any sort of information about what jacket this could be?, or if this is authentic? totally open to any information y'all could find!! Thanks!
View attachment 139065View attachment 139067View attachment 139069View attachment 139071View attachment 139073View attachment 139075View attachment 139077View attachment 139079
Hi all!
‘TYPE A-2
DWC NO.30-1415
AC CONTRACT
ORDER.NO35-098 AC-755
PROPERTY
AIR FORCE US.ARMY’
View attachment 139065View attachment 139067View attachment 139069View attachment 139071View attachment 139073View attachment 139075View attachment 139077View attachment 139079
No. No. Nope. Run.