• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inexpensive jacket #3

mtds

This is a Kerr W-collar motorcycle jacket in size 50. I think it is a model number KL192Z. I bought it on eBay in November 2006 for $82 and sold it a month later (too big) for about the same price. I’ve found that modern Kerr’s seem to run true-to-size or a little large.

orig.jpg

It has some of the usual features of a classic W-collar: slanted main zipper, epaulets, collar point snap, zippered sleeve cuffs. Note the absence of the slanted chest pocket and the change pocket often found on W-collar jackets. Also, no belt and no snap at the bottom of the zipper. It has a few of the newer innovations like a zip-out liner and flap-type adjustments for the waist.

orig.jpg

The leather and zippers are lighter weight than a Schott 141 or 118. The leather also had a suspiciously uniform pebble grain; I think it may have been stamped to cover imperfections.

orig.jpg

The zippered inside pocket on the main zipper’s wind flap is a nice touch. It is even on the right, so you can get into it with your left hand…I ride old British bikes. Some of you will understand.

orig.jpg

This was a very comfortable jacket which had seen little use. If it had been a 48 I would still have it, wearing it as a casual jacket and maybe occasionally for riding. Personally, though, I’d like to have more leather between me and the asphalt if it came to that.

orig.jpg

So, FWIW, a reasonable price (on the used market) for a jacket less functional than a Schott but much better than some others in the same price range.