• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignorant newbie question on "proper" A-2 sleeve fit

magnus523

Hi! Long-time lurker, haven't had much to say because all of you appear to know more than me about this topic!

I have a question concerning A-2s that I haven't seen addressed definitively in comments, one that's been bugging me for awhile.

I have a longish spine and, I suppose, arms a little shorter than average. Suit coat sleeves have always been a little long, and I stress a little, ending about halfway down my palm. I've never bothered to have a suit coat altered. A-2s, though…

I have now owned four "real-ish" A-2s, a Cooper, two US Authentics and most recently a Wiilis and Geiger -- all regular sizes, no custom work. The Cooper comes closest to fitting me "normally," but the other three, from my point of view, were tailored for orangutans. Like just ridiculously long sleeves. The sleeves on the W&S I just received will easily extend past the TIPS of my fingers when standing, arms at my sides.

I actually had one of the USAs altered, removing about three inches on the sleeves, and then I got good cuff display when standing, arms at my sides. But in "flying" (driving) position, naturally, the sleeves would creep up well past my wrists.

This has gotten me thinking -- are A-2s SUPPOSED to have really long sleeves to keep them clear when seated, with arms extended? What do you guys consider to be proper fit? I assume I'm going to have to have the W&S altered in any case, but I'd like to hear what the forum members think about how and where A-2 sleeves "should" fall. Thanks!

Bruce

A

Anonymous

Depends on your comfort level. I think tunneling (when you have enough sleeve length to cause a little bunching, and wrinkling looks great).

A

Anonymous

front_back_full_zps242c24db.jpg
This would be a perfect fit IMO, that being said, a little long is always better than a little short.

Peter Graham

magnus523 said:
I have a longish spine and, I suppose, arms a little shorter than average.
Bruce, you are indeed a freak. Can you please post some pics that we can laugh at. Seriously, A-2's were made in stock sizes, 38, 40, 42 etc with no concession to arm or torso length. I'm sure that you could have any jacket altered and John at Good Wear will make a jacket to fit you but how authentic would that be ? You gotta think of your priorities.

A

Anonymous

torturerack_zps8375901e.jpg
We have just the right equipment to take care of your situation. After Peter is finished using it on Cameron (PM BRITTIAN) we will have it back at the VLJ clubhouse for the annual arm stretching convention. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jeff M

front_back_full_zps242c24db.jpg

Right where I like my sleeves.
Too much tunneling becomes uncomfortable after a while.
Too short is just..too short.

magnus523

I see from your picture that your hands fall almost exactly where mine do at rest -- my arms may even be a little longer. And here I have had three jackets with sleeves falling a full six inches below that. My bafflement continues, but off to the alterations man I go, I suppose. Where are these anthropoidal types, anyway?

A

Anonymous

shorter is nice, looks more vintage I think
for my taste that is

Chandler

Roughwear said:
http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Original_A2_Jackets.jpg

Standing -- second man from left, last man on the right -- jeeze! Are those some stiff collars or what? They must be right outta the box!