• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identity of this G-1?

bjoy

I just picked up cheaply a nice G-1 without tags on eBay. I have not received it yet but the seller's images are below. Can anyone help me identify the maker and when it was made? (I was thinking maybe mid or late 60's and perhaps Star Sportswear.) It has a Scovill zipper and two-ply waist, but what appears to be a genuine mouton collar.

4667282755_d354b11ddd.jpg

4667282827_b83289f661.jpg

4667282907_54700c2852.jpg

4667907076_266731e889.jpg

4667907118_b0a97e6ae3.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
So post Conmar, with real mouton, and a greenish lining ... yes, maybe a Star D series from 1968-69.

That will do until an expert comes along. ;)

Atticus

deeb7 said:
So post Conmar, with real mouton, and a greenish lining ... yes, maybe a Star D series from 1968-69.

That will do until an expert comes along. ;)

I'll take another side...just 'cause that's what lawyers do.

I have three Stars....a "C" and "D" and an early "E". All three have very dark seal goatskin. The jacket in the photo appears to be more russet, more like my D-series Brill. But I do agree that it dates before mid-1969 and after 1967.

AF

Jason

Looks like a 7823C of some description to me. Double ply single weave waistband knit and real mouton collar gives that much away... unless the knits have been replaced.
Is there a pocket tag or similar in there? Sometimes there's WPL or RN codes listed that will reveal the maker. That combined with further research could nail it down to a particular series, year & maker.

Jason

Ah, good spotting David. Wasn't a green-ish lining a trait of I B Foster in their 7823Bs? (mine certainly has that olive green lining) - but that's far too early for this I think.

Roughwear

The jacket appears to be a Star from the 1968 contract, the MIL-J-7823D version. This is what JC says about it on his CD:
This designation is the first to have all jackets made with an A-2 folded style waistband. The leather is still goatskin, and the mouton has a nice lighter shade of brown. The lining has a green shade, and is rather thick. The zipper is a Conmar, but soon after this Scovill zippers are seen.

Jason

Sounds good to me... Somewhere in between 1968 & 1971 in their 7823Ds, Star must have changed from a greenish lining to the more usual brown, and from lighter coloured mouton to a non-fading dark brown... but retained the nice almost-russet brown goatskin.

My old Star, which has a Scovill zip:
G1_1c.jpg

G1_2c.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Jason said:
Sounds good to me... Somewhere in between 1968 & 1971 in their 7823Ds, Star must have changed from a greenish lining to the more usual brown, and from lighter coloured mouton to a non-fading dark brown... but retained the nice almost-russet brown goatskin.

That's exactly right, Jason ... if you have John's CD, it shows a 1970 contract Star with all the features of your 1971 jacket, along with another '68 D series that's the earlier version as seen in this thread.

bjoy

Thanks for all the help! Looks like you have the maker and date nailed on this one. Looking forward to receiving it.

bjoy

I have finally received this jacket and am quite happy with it! It fits perfectly and the collar is a beauty with no signs of any wear.

While the zipper puller is Scovill, the box is marked Conmar. The jacket is a dark seal brown despite the photos. The map pocket is the same material as the jacket lining.