• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID this A-2 in photo

Wright Field

i came across this photo of then-Capt Homer Boushey wearing an A-2 that’s a dead ringer for what I modeled my jacket on. Can you tell from the photo what contract this likely was? The photo is dated January 1940.
82719802-8220-4002-A233-33BF5E58C203.jpeg

Wright Field

5BC97B41-3307-4C26-BBCB-C49779E93455.jpeg

this is my version, an ELC Werber 1729 with a custom painted (from one of rye members here) Wright Field spearhead patch & nameplate. (This is a screenshot from a Facebook live event I did on Friday, giving a tour of the McCook Field site in Dayton, the predecessor for Wright Field

B-Man2

I initially thought the jacket in your photo was a 1st contract Rough Wear however you’re photo pre dates the production date of all Rough Wear contracts . So , I’m stumped as well. Sorry .

ausreenactor

Aaargh. Is that one or two stitch lines up the epaulet? Single stitch and an internal leather crease would have me thinking Werber 33-1729.

Position of the inner collar stud/cover that far back into the body of the jacket also supports the 1729 with the 39-2951P Werber having the snaps closer to the zipper...

Wright Field

A couple of points about Homer that could help. He started flying for the USAAC in late ‘32 and graduated in ‘33. Could this have been his first jacket, a Werber 1729? I’d think it would’ve looked more worn. On the other hand, he was assigned to Wright Field in 1939, at which point he could’ve gotten a new jacket, along with the patch.