• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Was Wrong...

ZuZu

There was clearly differentiated Seal and Russet in WW2. I sure hope this isn't colorized. I HATE colorized!
tumblr_ppy5fldgls1t5hadvo1_1280.jpg

mulceber

Hmm, do we know that that isn't a depot re-dye? Either way, I've tended to believe there were some darker seals out there, but I'm persuaded by your basic point that most "seal" at the time was a much lighter tone than we're used to seeing on repros.

ZuZu

Hmm, do we know that that isn't a depot re-dye? Either way, I've tended to believe there were some darker seals out there, but I'm persuaded by your basic point that most "seal" at the time was a much lighter tone than we're used to seeing on repros.
I was being half facetious of course- I just thought this was a great picture showing what's in most people's minds (including mine) when we think of A-2 colors. 21996s, depot redyes and the last 17XX contracts were pretty dark.
Great photo! I hate colorized as well!
Yup, agree on the clearly differentiated russet to darker seal color as well. Just look at a Monarch or Rough Wear 1401 compared to an Aero or last contract Dubow.
Thanks for sharing.
In real life I think that Eastman's picture of their original jackets all hanging show WW2 coloring the best!