• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hudson Garment Co. B-15A

chamboid

I've just picked up an original B-15A with the below spec label

Odd thing is it doesn't have any of the usual trappings; triangular leather tabs on the chest, oxygen cable loops or pen pocket. Also the pocket studs are those which would be on the oxygen cable loops, but inside poppers same as the usual doughnut cover top ones?

Is it a test jacket or early modification?

These is the same jacket on a USMILITARIAFORUM thread but I can't find it now.

This jacket. This is from the other site.

More photos to follow.

Peter Graham

6148th T.C.Squadron said:
Because it's an A model, and one of the first of the B-15 series. The B, C, and D models added all the bells, and whistles.
Wrong. The B-15A had oxy tabs, hose clips and a pen pocket. Interesting jacket. I've seen them minus the oxy tabs or hose clips, but never both. It's definitely an issued jacket but those pocket snaps are new to me.

chamboid

yeah, it's an odd one, I'll get some photos of it up tomorrow. The label is definitely original to the jacket and wouldn't have been allowed to be used on a civi jacket, nothing modified, and the fact that there is an identical one on the US Militaria forum is interesting... we'll just have to wonder.

Though it's a 34 it fits pretty big, more of a 36-38. it's in pretty good knick with only some fraying. anyone know someone who is good with cloth repairs?

TankBuster

Peter Graham said:
6148th T.C.Squadron said:
Because it's an A model, and one of the first of the B-15 series. The B, C, and D models added all the bells, and whistles.
Wrong. The B-15A had oxy tabs, hose clips and a pen pocket. Interesting jacket. I've seen them minus the oxy tabs or hose clips, but never both. It's definitely an issued jacket but those pocket snaps are new to me.

Peter nailed it. Definitely a strange one. Any sign of the leather tabs being there at one point?

chamboid

These last two photos show tiny stich marks where it seems the leather tabs would go.

There are these marks are where each missing detail should be, but no signs of them actually being there?

Peter Graham

Looking at those marks, they correspond to where the outer ends of the leather triangular tabs would be. I reckon they were made in the factory to indicate to the machinist where to sew them on but for some reason they were never fitted. This is for sure a military issue jacket but I don't see any shoulder decal either. Is there any evidence of one ? Intriguing. I love those "Lift The Dot" pocket snaps. They are synonymous with US military equipment.

chamboid

yeah, odd though that they are on the pockets, I'm thinking thats the reason the jackets was never finished maybe? wrong snaps on the pockets? should have been used on the cable tabs? thats a wild guess, but could make sense.

No, no indiction of a decal, and again the same marks on the jacket sleeve where the pen pockets would go...

I would like to get a few repairs done to it, then it's definitely a wearer, any recommendations would be great.

Something I am impressed with, is how good my Buzz RW B-15 is compared to this original, the cotton, knits, mouton and especially the alpaca are great, I've only been able to compare my Buzz N-1 to an original, which is good, but not excellent, the B-15 though is.