• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How were A2s cared for in the service?

JOHNO

I grew up on USAF bases, I did'nt see many A2s as the MA-1 was issue at the time but I seem to remember seeing a pilot polishing his shoes and then working on his jacket. Was this standard practice with A2s?

Roughwear

Judging by the originals in my collection most of these chaps cared for their A2s well and had the knits replaced for example. There are stories of guys who abused them, just as they abused their crushers to give them the 50 mission look. Post war many vets used their A2s to paint their houses, regarding them as just a leather jacket, whilst others kept them safely in a footlocker. Others replaced the lining, knits and zips and wore them to reunions. In short some cared for their A2s and others did not! ;)

JOHNO

I gues my question is more aimed at "How" were they cared for. Products like Pecards was'nt around back then. Was it standard practice to just shine them up with Brown Kiwi and a brush?

JOHNO

RCSignals said:
Wait......you saw an Airforce Officer, pilot no less, polishing his shoes?

Yes, it was an odd occasion. The Thunderbirds were visiting and they were preparing for a show for the General, I was there the evening before the day of the show but I was able to see part of it from the school playground. This was in 1969 [give or take a year] at Shepard AFB in Whichita Falls Texas.

A

Anonymous

Beer, and cigarette ash was used as a conditioner. and stored in the back seat of a jeep just under Susan Wilson's behind at the end of a date. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: