• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hole in jacket - how to repair?

NW Carver

Hi everyone

Wondered if anybody could help please? Recently I bought a great jacket from a fellow forum member (a M422A) which he had literally 'bought back from the dead' and had done a great job on it! :D

When I got the jacket, it was in great condition with the leather showing the usual wear but strong and in good condition :D . Like all the jackets that I get, I then apply 1 coat of Pecards - which I did to this jacket - with which it came up fantastically! :D

However, after wearing it to work I then noticed, after taking the jacket off, a small hole had appeared just under the collar at the top end, on the back, of the jacket (an area of the leather that was worn but strong before the application of Pecards) - additionally the area around this now feels weak/soft to the touch :(

Now, I feel like an idiot because I seem to have 'ruined' a really good jacket by applying Pecards to it. Has anybody else had this experiance? How can it be repaired?

I know that Aero can repair, and have emailed them about this (although they currently have a 10 week delay before I can send through as they are so busy) - but can I do this myself and what would be the best way of doing this? Stick a small piece of leather on the inside and re-enforce just that hole or a large piece of leather and re-enforce the whole area across the back..

And, would stitching the area be better than gluing or should I just find an appropriate Sq/theatre of Ops patch for the back and use that instead to cover the hole?

Any help/thoughts appreciated...

Thanks guys!

Grant

Don't feel like an idiot, the leather was probably in bad condition in the first place but you just didn't realize it. I've found goatskin rot is sometimes hard to detect until it's too late.

If you do decide to try and have it repaired Aero does amazing goatskin work. Years ago I bought a G&F a M-422a with a half inch hole in the leather from some abrasion on the shoulder area. The surrounding goatskin was still strong so they were able to apply a matching goatskin patch from the inside. After I got the jacket back I applied a little Pecards and the jacket has been in going strong ever since.

Peter Graham

I've also had Aero do good work for me, patching a goatskin A-2 and an AN-6552 from the inside. Before you send it off it might be worthwhile having a careful check over the rest of the jacket in case there are other areas going the same way.

Grant

Agree with Peter, check over the surrounding areas to see if the leather is strong enough to repair. If the leather has rot there's not much you can do.