• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Himel Bros. The Chinook

Southoftheborder

Nice jacket he's showing off and I really like the hide.

I used to have one of the surplus Swedish coats he showed at the end as well. They were sold as Swedish Ski Patrol coats in Exchange and Mart in the UK for about £10 as I remember - this was well over fifty years ago. It must have been the warmest coat I've ever owned. It had three layers of heavy canvas with an around 20mm shearling lining. I think it was a bit earlier than the one he showed as it was in white canvas and the canvas looked heavier than that one.

It was really heavy and the one time I wore it in a real winter blizzard I hardly noticed the wind and cold. Most of the time it was far too hot and I usually wore it open. I had the sheepskin Russian style hat with a leather peak that Swedish serviceman wore with it too. I must have looked like the chocolate soldier.