• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help needed restoring original B6 flight helmet

Dumpster D

I doubt too many of the riggers coming up with these ideas during the war were expert seamstress people either

I'm not much of a seamstress myself.

Was thinking of attempting this project eventually, maybe with a bit of encouragement and support.

I would love to see some more photos of your flight helmet and hear some details on how it turned out, if you wouldn't mind sharing any tips or advice please.

How did you feel about cutting holes out of your flight helmet? and how was sewing the leather rings to the sheepskin?

Would like to see how you measured the holes to fit the earcups etc...how do you feel about the end result?

How is the overall fit and look of the FS B-6 Repro Helmet once you add the ear cups?

I'm a bit hesitant at the moment to cut holes in my FS Repro B-6 helmet because it feels a bit invasive, but I could work up to it with some more confidence.

Not quite sure which option I would be happiest with yet, There's many variations on installing receivers on a B-6, they all look pretty nice.

Any tips and advice would be much appreciated!

OK, thank you!

warguy

Thanks for the interest. So this project turned out great due in large part to the outstanding reproduction foam ear cups sold by Rigger Depot. What happened with my helmet, is I discovered after cutting the loose stitches around the original damaged ear cups, I realized that what I was seeing inside, was part of the same earcup as what I saw on the outside. In other words, the ear cups sandwich between the outside and inside of the helmet and I wasnt seeing two separate pieces like I thought. I simply removed the damage ear cups from both sides, and with some caution I was able to push the new ear cup through the existing holes. Once this was done, with the help of a butter knife, I was able to squeeze the original Headphones into the new earcups. Once done, I found that they were very secure. Since I display it as a static display, I felt I didn’t need to re-sew the new earcups to the leather. This could always easily be done in the future, but I just thought I would leave it as is. Hope all this makes sense. Unfortunately my flight helmet is packed away in preparation for the future move. The previous photos I posted though basically illustrate what I described and the end result. If you don’t have holes in your helmet, I think all of what I described could be accomplished with some careful cutting and the addition of the leather ring to stiffen the edge of the hole for the ear cup. INMO that would best be accomplished with a heavy duty sewing machine. Good luck!

Tattoo A2

I basically just cut some pieces of leather out for the reinforcement side pieces after making a mock up piece from cardboard making sure the rubber cups would fit, I didnt do the whole process of cutting holes in the five star B6 , but it wouldnt be hard to do, and I would rather do that than cut wholes in a military antique. As for sewing the leather I bought one of those 100 dolaar chinese cobbler machines during covid and that would sew thru it with no problem at all.

B-Man2

I basically just cut some pieces of leather out for the reinforcement side pieces after making a mock up piece from cardboard making sure the rubber cups would fit, I didnt do the whole process of cutting holes in the five star B6 , but it wouldnt be hard to do, and I would rather do that than cut wholes in a military antique. As for sewing the leather I bought one of those 100 dolaar chinese cobbler machines during covid and that would sew thru it with no problem at all.
Hey Rob
Would you please show me a photo of that Chinese cobbler sewing machine ?
Thanks

Dumpster D

I didnt do the whole process of cutting holes in the five star B6 , but it wouldnt be hard to do, and I would rather do that than cut holes in a military antique.

Wouldn't dream of messing with an original. No sir.

Thank you very much for the replies!

Don't know why, but 'Rigger made' gear has a touch of max level swag.

Wondering, what type of leather is the original chinstrap? It basically matches to the Leather Re-enforcement rings.

The natural colour of the Chinstrap and Rings is two-tone against the darker colour of the sheepskin, and adds some 'pop'. Another subtle feature is how the Rubber Ear cushions kind of match with the Oxygen mask and Goggle cushion rubber.

Also notice how the black receivers are stand out visible on this flavour of rig, whereas a set of classic leather ear cups hide them.

I have this old industrial singer machine, it's cranky. It won't sew sheepskin, but could put two lines of empty Stitch holes around the leather re-enforcement rings. Then lightly glue, or tack them in place, and just hand sew them on, following the machine stitch holes. That's one way.

Might use the ear cushions as a rough template to make the Leather rings. How snug do the ear cushions fit?

The True test of courage would be cutting out holes in the sheepskin and fitting the Ear cushions on the FS reproduction B-6 helmet. (Measure twice, cut once) It all depends. On one hand, that's unthinkable, and on the other, if the end result justifies the means...?

Another detail is installing DOT snaps. Looks like they are all the way through the sheepskin on your original, is that right?

It will take awhile to gather the right materials...enough time to think things through in full, and report back when I'm ready set.

Again, Great project!

Warguy, your flight helmet restoration turned out fantastic!!

Tattoo A2

Hey Rob
Would you please show me a photo of that Chinese cobbler sewing machine ?
Thanks
Here it is Burt, I had to make the base for it, Amazon sells them and youtube has a bunch of videos on it.
thumbnail - 2023-04-17T121834.659.jpg

Dumpster D

It's now 7 months later...Here's where I'm at with my project so far. Check it out.

Would it be better to start a new topic for this?

This is a FS leather Reproduction B-6 flying helmet.

It took awhile to find some top grain hide to make the leather 'rings'. In several months of going to the local thrift store, finally found a vintage purse made of premium leather to recycle.

I measured and cut some leather reinforcement 'rings' and then put empty machine stitch holes in them. I will backstitch the rings onto the sheepskin by hand, once adhering them in place to the helmet.

What would be the correct colour, and thread type to use with this sheepskin?

Also note, I have removed the 5 oxygen mask hooks as well. (This was done on the original helmet shown in this particular thread, as the DOT snap fastener 'press studs' were then added) These hooks snagged my wool scarf. Generally found them somewhat of a nuisance. Will eventually order some DOT snap fasteners down the road to install at some point.

Then there's the final leap of faith!!

To invasively cut out the sheepskin from the rings to install the rubber ear cushions. *gasp*

I'm not sure how I feel about doing that, and maybe some of you would have some thoughts and opinions about going forward from this point in the project, as I can not go back once I've cut out the sheepskin.

Should I go for it?

Will the 'look' and fit of the helmet be affected negatively, or will it turn out to be an awesome mod?

I get one shot at this, so the ear cushions have to fit right the first time, you know?

Project1.jpg

project 2.jpg

project 3.jpg

project 4.jpg

Last edited:

warguy

First off, I am glad you are keeping my post alive and I think your project should stay here for anyone that might be interested in either repairing or reconstructing a B6 helmet in the future. I love your work and I definitely think you should go for it. I actually think cutting the sheepskin will be the easiest part, once you have those rings sewn on . I dont think there is too much risk at that point in messsing something up. The completed project will look pretty much the same as the originl B6 I presented to start this post. That helmet once again was worn by an airman killed in a training accident in WWII, annd all modifications were wartime. Finally as to color of thread, look at those initial photos closely. What I recall (my helmet is in storage now) is that the thread used was the typical cream colored waxed leather thread that is pretty easy to find in any leather shop. It is a little dingy from age and wear, but looks to me to be that pretty typical stUff for the leather ear rings And the hand stitching to secure the foam cups. Good luck and please keep us posted. Looks like a great project. Makes me want to go back someday and add the hand stitches for the earcups to mine.

Dumpster D

Project report update:

Using spray adhesive worked well to secure the leather rings in place.

Sewing the Leather Reinforcement rings by hand with a backstitch was too hard for me. I tried using some different needles and threads. The stitching would have turned out messy and taken a long time with my skill level.

Last ditch effort. Slowly eased the stitch lines with a 1950's Elna Sewing machine by gradually hand turning the wheel. The sewing machine was not meant for Top grain and sheepskin. There were a lot of missed and empty stitch holes. You have to do the best you can with what you got, and that's all anyone can ever ask of you.

Cutting out the sheepskin though? Still mixed feelings, but it's done and done now.

OK... I'll be over in the packing tent if you need to find me for any service mods.

Please ask about the Upgrades I did on those Repro WPG B-7 goggles!!

Thank you for the inspiration.

mail.google-14.jpg

mail.google-16.jpg

mail.google-24.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg
mail.google-33.jpg
mail.google-32.jpg
mail.google-31.jpg

Dumpster D

I might just put my B-6 modification project out under a new thread tbh. Been eagerly waiting to hear some feedback... So far, radio silence.

Tattoo A2

Came out great, I may have to try that with my fivestar B6 as soon as I get some time, Im impressed with the outcome and glad I helped a bit.

Dumpster D

Came out great, I may have to try that with my fivestar B6 as soon as I get some time, Im impressed with the outcome and glad I helped a bit.

Thank you. I sincerely owe a debt to you guys for the inspiration. You have all been very helpful and supportive.

Very happy with the results.

Sourcing and ordering some 'DOT' press studs is the next order of business.

Will report back.