• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Identifying Vintage Horsehide Motorcycle Jacket, Sears? Hercules?

moreland2

This jacket was in a trunk in my grandfather's attic. No one in the family knows anything about it, unfortunately, and I would love some help figuring out its history. The label is worn badly—I can make out the words "Sears" and "Sportswear," but nothing else. The Talon zipper seems to be from the late 40s or 50s, from what I could find. The real mystery is the painting, though, which is a detail from Caravaggio's "Inspiration of Saint Matthew."

At first, I thought WWII, but I really don't know. Any ideas about the age of the jacket or insight as to who or why someone would paint something like this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

5.jpg
label.jpg
IMG_4435.jpeg
IMG_4434.jpeg
IMG_4433.jpeg

Attachments

• 3.jpg .jpg
    3.jpg .jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 65

asiamiles

Don't know about the age of the zipper, but the jacket looks more like late 50s~60s to me. But anyway, it seems like you have a nice slice of family history.

Does the painting of an 'angel' suggest a link to a motorcycle club? That said, it's not the sort of image one would normally associate with a biker.