• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help building a jacket to honor my Dad...

ButteMT61

Hey guys, my Dad will be 89 in April, and I wanted to build a jacket to represent what he and others may have had in his unit.
As you can see from my avatar, that patch is Dad's unit - the 23rd Bomb Squadron, of the 5th Bomb Wing.
I am looking to get an L-2B and patch it just with his unit patch - none of the other stuff that may have been there too like the SAC stuff...

Likely I will get the Buzz Rickson from here: https://www.historypreservation.com...958-l-2b-flying-jacket-skyline-clothing-corp/

I have his original patches, but I don't want to use those as they are sacred to me and I do not want to risk losing them.
I have procured a nice period patch that may or may not be the exact year/era, but it's close enough to what I have here to be OK for the project.
My main question is, on an L-2B, where would this patch go? They are smaller (~4") than a lot of the WWII patches which seem to be more like 5".
Does this go on the chest, or shoulder?
Which side?
I don't want to pretend I know any of this and I want to do it right. Dad can't recall those sorts of details, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
If it comes out well, I will do the same for my son...

Thank you!

Boyo

I cant help you with any specifics Butte.. But that sounds like a wonderful gift to your dad..

A quick google search founds this image.. not a jacket but the patch is on the R sleeve

1707332544262.png

B-Man2

Hey guys, my Dad will be 89 in April, and I wanted to build a jacket to represent what he and others may have had in his unit.
As you can see from my avatar, that patch is Dad's unit - the 23rd Bomb Squadron, of the 5th Bomb Wing.
I am looking to get an L-2B and patch it just with his unit patch - none of the other stuff that may have been there too like the SAC stuff...

Likely I will get the Buzz Rickson from here: https://www.historypreservation.com...958-l-2b-flying-jacket-skyline-clothing-corp/

I have his original patches, but I don't want to use those as they are sacred to me and I do not want to risk losing them.
I have procured a nice period patch that may or may not be the exact year/era, but it's close enough to what I have here to be OK for the project.
My main question is, on an L-2B, where would this patch go? They are smaller (~4") than a lot of the WWII patches which seem to be more like 5".
Does this go on the chest, or shoulder?
Which side?
I don't want to pretend I know any of this and I want to do it right. Dad can't recall those sorts of details, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
If it comes out well, I will do the same for my son...

Thank you!
Butte
May I suggest an alternative option than spending $500.00 with shipping for a Buzz from HPA. I realize this is a jacket to honor your dad , but I’m sure that once it’s completed that he would be happy with the jacket regardless of the maker. I have owned a $120.00, L-2b jacket that I’ve been completely happy with. I’ve had it for 5 years and I sold off my Buzz L-2b because for the cost difference of $400.00 the quality wasn’t that much better and it didn’t make sense to keep it. The L-2b is made by Jinrushi
You can check it out below .

ButteMT61

Thank you guys! MUCH appreciated.
@Boyo - that's more modern, wonder if it was the same in the 50's? I too could only find newer pics...

@B-Man2 Burt- thank you for that advice! I've not looked for an L-2B before this, so I will 100% check our your info there. Thank you so much!