• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have We Bought All The Jackets?

Atticus

Not that I need any more cold war-era flight jackets, but I still like to prowl e-bay from time to time, just looking for what may be there.

Lately...nothing has been there.

Today, I looked at MA-1s again, allbeit briefly, and could only find one lonely, grimey '65 Alpha in my size. It has an eighty-nine buck starting bid. Oh, there was also an '80s ground crew MA-1 for sale...but they're not really flight jackets, are they?

So..to paraphrase Peter, Paul and Mary....where have all the jackets gone? Gone to Asia, every one? Am I alone or do other folks here see the jacket market dwindling to nothing?

AF

Tim P

it wont last.. there will be more. theres never a big choice of anything except odd coloured repros. Nice ones will pop up.

rich

Maybe 5% of the people own 95% of the jackets - some of the collections I've seen here would substantiate this theory...... :)

Atticus

tamoko said:
this one?

Lord, if I was a size medium I have to rent a tobacco warehouse to hold all the jackets I'd own. God chose wisely when He made me a fatboy. He knew that if He didn't, there'd be no jackets left for y'all to buy.

AF

USMC_GAU-21

Atticus,

Asia is a good guess. and that L-2B has been on the "Greed Bay" 2 times. and , he has cancelled my bid twice looking for more money I guess.

But, there are jackets out there. I wonder if eBay and all their BS is scaring all the good sellers off?

Estates are certainly a place to find jackets, but normally some militaria collector is there looking for some "fixed bail" M1 helmet with 101st Airborne marking all over it and give the cold war Nylon away to goodwill.

And, yes, MED jackets are everywhere.......... :shock:

Back to the treadmill.....retirement has been a little too good on the PT program.

r/Gy Dan

Atticus

tamoko said:
Not really, devil not sleep. :lol:
Keep lookin' Tamoko!! You're almost up to my fatboy size! Actually, I'm as light as I've been in a long time...but I'm still an XL. :oops:

AF

Post Edit: That second link is to a sweet lookin' N-3B...but I've actually got one exactly like it in XL. Danny found it for me last year.

Weasel_Loader

I just sold my last two 60s MA-1s and my last L-2B. One MA-1 went back east somewhere. One MA-1 went to Greece and the L-2B ended up only 100 or so miles from me. You are right in that it's been a pretty slow market on "good" vintage nylon.

Atticus

Weasel_Loader said:
I just sold my last two 60s MA-1s and my last L-2B. One MA-1 went back east somewhere. One MA-1 went to Greece and the L-2B ended up only 100 or so miles from me. You are right in that it's been a pretty slow market on "good" vintage nylon.
What's in your collection now? Have you given up on nylon?

AF

usafwso

There will always be the 3-D's. Death, Debt & Divorce. When that happens you can be assured someone will put some jackets up for sale.

Weasel_Loader

Atticus said:
Weasel_Loader said:
What's in your collection now? Have you given up on nylon?

AF

Only three now.

GW Dubow 20960 Size 44
ELC B-10 Size 44
Buzz B-15C Size 46

I really love all three of these. My GW is feeling more and more comfortable the more I wear it. The ELC B-10 is my newest and getting the most use right now because of the weather. The Buzz is big on me but gives me plenty of room to wear a heavy sweatshirt under it on those super cold desert mornings. Wore it the other day to support an early morning launch when it was about 17 degrees. Got some complements from aircrew. One actually knew what it was! ;)

I'm up in the air right now on what I want next.

A-1
'33 or '39 Werber A-2
Replica Hilts A-2
Buzz L-2 or L-2B (Maybe if I can find one long enough)

*Haven't totally given up on nylon but found new love for leather and cloth. :lol:

Weasel_Loader

watchmanjimg said:
Weasel_Loader said:
Buzz L-2 or L-2B (Maybe if I can find one long enough)

This shouldn't be a problem for you, Danny. My Buzz L-2 is plenty long.

Thanks for the heads up Jim. I do remember people saying the L-2s were longer than a and b. Now I just gotta decide on leather or nylon. :roll: