• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grouping including A-2

bombs away

Hello,

Here is one of my last groupings.
This one belonged to 2nd Lt Carl V. Wilson, co-pilot in Lt Fred E. Call's crew, 303rd BG, 359th BS, 8th AF.
Here the crew :
7362041306_ffe2b13c26_c_d.jpg

Wilson is second from left, standing.

The crew arrived in England in january 1945 and made his tour from february 3rd to april 25th 1945.
At this time Wilson has flewn Wilson 32 missions, including one as tail gunner :shock: with another crew.
Between these crewmen, the navigator has been made POW and the bombardier has been KIA during a mission when they were with another crew as replacement.
Even if the Luftwaffe was less seen in 1945, the Flak was very accurate over Germany.

Details of the grouping:
A-2 jacket (contrat no name 1756) and AN-6550 flight suit. Both are in excellent condition and have the original nameplates.
I believe the cuffs and waistband are originals as the jacket has been barely used.
7362053180_c726b57b0f_h_d.jpg

7589677936_e268f6b947_b_d.jpg

7589676624_9d058958c7_b_d.jpg

While taking the pictures I've realised the USAAF insignia has been overpainted to make it a triangle. I have no idea why, may be because the tail code of the 303rd BG was a Triangle "C"
7176826369_944d812a4b_c_d.jpg

The cap is not a real crusher but a regular one without its stiffener. It's the one worn by Lt Wilson on the crew picture.

Here is the second part of the grouping (other stuff than flight jacket, sorry :roll: ):
7176815765_0a8f89feef_h_d.jpg

Officer's jacket
Officer's jacket shortened to look like an Ike jacket 8th AF stubby wings
pink pants
4 side caps
5 officer's shirts
Dog tags
Many documents regarding Lt Wilson's army flight schools
Map of the famous East Anglia area
Log book
Type A-11 watch
And many many documents...

Just a close up of the cut down jacket, because I find it really great :
English buttons and a fantastic work down by a british taylor. Note the blue belt re-created inside the jacket. I've never seen it before.

7362042972_2d23b379ca_b_d.jpg

7362044086_bb1b608c51_b_d.jpg

7176818471_e35daca5e6_d.jpg

Cheers,
Tim

Andrew

Don't know where you find these Tim but that's one of the nicest groupings I've seen. Great to have all components of the uniform intact. I wonder how he managed to keep all of that gear? Your collection ought to be recorded in a book.

dujardin

:eek: :eek: :eek:

wowwwwwwwwwwww, splendid; amazing
as always ;)

i like the AF painted on the A2's shoulder, this jacket is in greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat condition

A

Anonymous

Very nice grouping.

I guess the knits on the A-2 are a replacement. As far as I know the originals were a lighter brown.

Phantomfixer

Awesome grouping was that a local purchase or internet? Just curious. I am wondering how much stuff was left behind after the war either by individuals just leaving it or having been lost in combat. I have lived in England and Germany. In the mid eighties, the region seemed rich in militaria...

The A-2 rocks...as does the rest of the grouping...

KevG

jzist said:
I am wondering how much stuff was left behind after the war either by individuals just leaving it or having been lost in combat. I have lived in England and Germany. In the mid eighties, the region seemed rich in militaria...

My wife and daughter are in Berlin at the moment

I tried to brief them on what to look out for in the vintage clothes shops there

Not holding out too much hope tho
:lol: