• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodwear 55J14 Star Sportswear Jacket G1

Jaguar46

I put in a deposit back in November. I finally got around to letting John know what I wanted. I have few A2s already, and some are Goodwear so I decided I wanted a Navy Jacket. John and I discussed things and we decided on the Star Sportswear 55J14 G1. After receiving it, it was very stiff, and the goatskin was like cardboard. I applied some water via a spray bottle (after sealing up the knits and the collar), allowed about 20 minutes at low heat in the dryer with a dozen damp towels, let it air dry the rest of the way, then applied some Pecards, and now the jacket is almost broken in. The grain of the goat skin is something else. He initially was going to use a darker mouton color for the collar, but it was old and cracking, so he used some lighter color for the collar. I like the unique color.

Here are the pics I took in my back yard and gave to John for his site.

Star55J14G1_02.jpg

Star55J14G1_04.jpg
Star55J14G1_05.jpg

Star55J14G1_01.jpg
Star55J14G1_06.jpg

bfrench

Administrator
That's a real nice jacket and excellent fit.

It'll be something special when it gets a bit of wear

Jaguar46

Thanks guys.

I have a unique patch, that I will post pics of. I was thinking of putting it on the jacket, but now I am not sure. I doubt there are many like it in the world. It is a patch from the place I spent most of my Navy career, which no longer exists. I spent 12 1/2 years active duty, and 13 years in the Navy Reserve at Naval Regional Medical Center Oakland (formerly Oakland Naval Hospital, aka Oak Knoll Naval Medical Center), and I have a patch that someone had made up when I was there. The hospital compound closed in 1997, and the building was demolished on 4/8/11.

This would certainly make this a unique jacket.

P1020700Medium.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Jaguar46 said:
I have a unique patch, that I will post pics of. I was thinking of putting it on the jacket, but now I am not sure ....

It's a great jacket, and a special patch, but I don't think one needs the other to be complete. The patch is what it is, and will be just as happy living in the drawer as a souvenir.

Andrew

Completely agree with Steve. it looks fantastic. One day I might be tempted to go Navy.

unclegrumpy

Jaguar46 said:
I have a unique patch, that I will post pics of. I was thinking of putting it on the jacket, but now I am not sure......
I think this is a tough call, because I can see the appeal of having a nice jacket to represent your old unit. However, I think I agree with David. In my mind the nut of the issue is the patch is too new in style and manufacture for this jacket. It would look better on a mid 1980's or 1990's G-1, especially with the addition of a nice custom made name tag to balance it out.

CBI

I love patched jackets but I would leave the GW alone. I would buy a used original on eBay and put the patch on it. You could find something for a few hundred dollars.

Jaguar46

CBI said:
I love patched jackets but I would leave the GW alone. I would buy a used original on eBay and put the patch on it. You could find something for a few hundred dollars.

I guess you are right. I once bought an early 70s Brill Brothers G1 off Ebay, but the leather seemed like plastic, I was disappointed, so I sent it back. I guess 1967 J7823 "B" series G1s and earlier are the ones to look for. According to this site.

http://moorecustom.com/jackets/Moore_Jackets_navy.htm

unclegrumpy

Jaguar46 said:
I guess you are right. I once bought an early 70s Brill Brothers G1 off Ebay, but the leather seemed like plastic, I was disappointed, so I sent it back. I guess 1967 J7823 "B" series G1s and earlier are the ones to look for.

I think a 1960's era G-1 would still be too old for the patch you have. That patch looks to me like a fairly current design and production....mid 1990's to now. I like the idea of getting a '60's era G-1, but I think you need to find a patch made in the same era to go on it. Since the Naval Hospital was around since 1942, I bet they had some other insignia designs. If you could find something, you could always have a patch made.

asiamiles

unclegrumpy said:
It would look better on a mid 1980's or 1990's G-1, especially with the addition of a nice custom made name tag to balance it out.
It would look better on a cloth jacket, or maybe even a nylon one.

Jaguar46

unclegrumpy said:
Jaguar46 said:
I guess you are right. I once bought an early 70s Brill Brothers G1 off Ebay, but the leather seemed like plastic, I was disappointed, so I sent it back. I guess 1967 J7823 "B" series G1s and earlier are the ones to look for.

I think a 1960's era G-1 would still be too old for the patch you have. That patch looks to me like a fairly current design and production....mid 1990's to now. I like the idea of getting a '60's era G-1, but I think you need to find a patch made in the same era to go on it. Since the Naval Hospital was around since 1942, I bet they had some other insignia designs. If you could find something, you could always have a patch made.

The hospital building depicted in the patch was completed in 1968, the year that particular hospital building was opened. I bought the patch in 1982 or 83. If there were a decent late 60s or 70s jacket, I would get it. And perhaps put it on there. The other option is get a new Gibson & Barns G1 and put it on that jacket.