• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear Leather leather options

bfrench

Administrator
Hi, Folks,

Has any one had JC make a jacket using the "Cowhide: russet brown, vegetable–tanned" or any of the cowhide choices.

I know this is heresy as A-2s were made mostly from horsehide or goatskin but some of JC's cowhide options look very good.

And I'm not about to start the steerhide controversy / war over again - just asking a simple question.

Bill French

Andrew

Bill, I think John's old Bonanza Mesa is all of the above. Looks great with a load of ever changing character- just wet it and it ages 30 years, heat the leather with friction or a warm iron over a towel and it goes back to the original colour- freaky. I love it but I really prefer the stiffer horsehide- the crease memory of the BM isn't as impressive as the Horse.

Here's a pic of a United Sheeplined test jacket. This is the one I had painted by a 15th AF Vet.

(This shot contains the required head and absolutely no hands on hips).

500-1.jpg

bfrench

Administrator
Leadsky said:
Bill, I think John's old Bonanza Mesa is all of the above. Looks great with a load of ever changing character- just wet it and it ages 30 years, heat the leather with friction or a warm iron over a towel and it goes back to the original colour- freaky. I love it but I really prefer the stiffer horsehide- the crease memory of the BM isn't as impressive as the Horse.

Here's a pic of a United Sheeplined test jacket. This is the one I had painted by a 15th AF Vet.

Hi, Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.

Boy - did you ever peg the fit on that jacket - just a little tunnel on the arms, squared shoulders and proper length.

No wonder you used it for the painting - must look like an original now.

Really like the pics showing the face and hands where they normally fall - maybe some of our other members could get the hint - we're not all Clark Gable clones.

Bill French

Bill French

A

Anonymous

Leadsky said:
(This shot contains the required head and absolutely no hands on hips).
I think I prefer you with your hand on your hip Andrew. ;) It has to be said that the jacket looks good - for a Good Wear :lol: :lol: Seriously though, suits you sir !

Dave :ugeek:

TankBuster

I've also got a test Dubow in CowHide. It is also the bonanza
mesa that John had done some hot water treatment to.
I have to say that it looks like many of my originals. I agree with you Bill that Johns Cowhide really captures what WWII hide was like.