• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gibson & Barnes

442RCT

What's the opinion on Gibson&Barnes A-2s ?
Do they run to a trim fit or do they run to a modern baggy fit ?
A couple have popped up on eBay and I was 'thinking' about bidding...or should I just wait for another ELC.

Did a quick google and it seems G&B tend to run big, so a 42 would be too big for me.

watchmanjimg

In my experience they're nicely made for the price, but they run gigantic. Mine is at least two sizes bigger than I expected.

Hamsterbear

I was, well.. I still am, a big fan of their jackets.
The OLDER versions, the one's with the "FLIGHT SUITS" label run a lot smaller than the current lot, actually pretty close to tagged size, and some of the real early ones from the mid 1980's and before actually run small.
The GIBSON & BARNES one's run huge, a real full cut, and many people go down one if not two full sizes if they want a trim/military fit.
I have some early 1980's jackets that fit me in a 44reg..
the 1990's up until very early/mid 2000's fit me in a 42reg.
Also, the non-A-2 jackets, the m-422a specifically, run very big, and I take a 40 in that, and their RAIDER (not the Expedition/IJ jacket) I take a 40 as well. I have a pilot jacket in black goatskin, the Skyliner, and in a 42 it is too big for me.
So, basically, the currents one's you need to go down at least one size in A-2's, and earlier jackets that you get on FleaBay, you have to know what you're looking at, you need measurements from the sell, and so on. I can tell the fit by looking at the label, that's how long I've been trading these jackets.
For comparison, I almost universally fit a 42 reg in Eastman A-2's, a 44 reg in Aero Scotland, and a 42 in most G&B A-2's.
Other notes:
They used to have a very liberal return/repair policy-almost beyond belief. I sent ebay jackets in for work, added fur collars, sew patches, shorten sleeves etc...even though I wasn't the ORIGINAL PURCHASER of the jacket.
NOW- they will not do any repairs or alterations, and will only fix defects/warranty.
I guess they got burned by too many returns and take-backs.
Then, they began making jackets for several major airlines, and they followed the money and forgot about US!
Perhaps those strict policies have relaxed somewhat, I can't say for sure as I haven't dealt with them for a few years. ( around the time Dave Marshall left- but he's back now? At least he did some YouTube videos for them)
Anyway, I just got the new catalog in the mail last week, and I almost fell over when I saw the prices- they are in the Eastman range now.
Still, my BEST FAVORITE< most well fitting jacket is a Historic Goatskin A-2 ( just before the Type 31 jacket was introduced) without a collar stand.
It's on JC's CD.
This is it:
collar_details.jpg

GBGoatskinA-2006.jpg

GBGoatskinA-2007.jpg

GBGoatskinA-2009.jpg

I never patched this jacket, no nametag or artwork-and as a result it is my daily wearer, looking better and better at time goes on!
-B

Robman

I absolutely love mine. I have found that on me at least my suit size is fine. With the M422a I find I definitely need to order my regular size as the sleeves are actually quite trim. They on me at least achieve the "look" with a bit of breathing room which I think looks authentic.

With their A2s the biggest difference is the sleeves and are cut wider which makes them comfortable to wear.

Everyone gets so hung up on the trim fit and frequently get repro jackets that are ultra trim while wearing a tshirt...looking at the period photos, it doesn't look real in my mind.

Their mahogany horsehide is a beautiful shade of brown....not ultra dark but a period looking chestnut with some red tint in certain lighting. Their russet veg. goatskin is awesome and resembles the Cable/Perry/RW goatskin nicely.

Chandler

I have a 44 goatskin that was one of the first with the G&B label that fits like a true 44. The waist might be a tad baggy, but there are so many different A-2 patterns you see in vintage photos that this isn't always unheard of. The shoulders fit great. Love the hide too.

At one time I also owned a 44 Flight Suits horsehide that fit like a true 44. I just didn't like the finish on the hide, it was a sale item because FS didn't like the hides either and were liquidating the batch.

I think that Acme Depot shows a G&B goat with some time-wear on it, looks nice.

IMO they are good jackets for the money and they'll work with you for a good fit.

Here's a good thread FYI: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=780

Chandler

8tfish

I bought an historical A-2 Size 44 in goatskin from G & B a few months ago because I had bought a G-1 from Flightsuits in 1992 and I like the G-1 alot. Compared to most everyone on this website I know very little (although I have been learning alot from this site), but I like the fit of the jacket and don't notice it being excessively baggy.......could be that I really am closer to a 46 and so the 44 fits me well.

I wish I had found this website before I ordered because I probably would have spent a couple of hundred more and gotten a GW.....I live in the St. Louis area but had a 3 month assignment in Everett, WA which would have been nice and close to GW.

rikitiki

I own or have owned five Gibson and Barnes (Flight Suits) A-2's in various colors and leathers. They are the best flight jackets for the money, well made, with near perfect stitching and finish. If you want a generic A-2, not an exact copy of a contract, then G&B is unbeatable. They do run a little big, though two of mine were spot-on in fit.

I try to buy mine around May-July with the theory that those months are very slow for G&B and they would be more willing to make alterations. For instance, I had no trouble special ordering a BLACK LAMBSKIN A-2 a couple years ago.