• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting out rinkles in a leather jacket

Striker

If you have a leather jacket that has been stored in a packed closet for a while and has some wrinkling, what is the best way to get rid of the wrinkling? Should it be taken to the cleaners?

Thanks,

Striker

Vcruiser

I agree...by wearing it..evenyually most of the wrinkles should come out. Personally..i would never dry clean a leather jacket.
Van

rikitiki

You could try soaking your jacket in cold water, then wearing it to stretch out the wrinkles. Taking leather to the cleaners is always risky.

T-Bolt

I have had good luck partially or totally removing wrinkles in a leather jacket (body and collar) by laying it out and wetting the area with a terry cloth washcloth dipped in warm/hot water. Keep wetting until the leather feels like the water is soaked in and then form it to remove the wrinkles.

Let it air dry completely and the wrinkles should be pretty much gone or reduced signifiicantly.

Ted

Jaydee

I have had good results with Ironing them out, here's how:
1. Cut out a big wrinkle free piece of a brown paper bag.
2. Turn the iron on the Lowest setting and let it warm up.
3. Place the paper over the wrinkle on the jacket. For ironing on
4. Sweep the iron over the paper using a lot of presure.
DO NOT let the iron get too hot! Do not iron without the paper on top. Do a couple of quick sweeps at first, and then check jacket. It could be all it needed. If not, continue ironing and check the jacket frequently to ensure you are not shrinking it too much. Good luck!
-Jay

Striker

Thanks for all the advice.

Jay, I never even thought about ironing it...thanks for the tip.

But what I did was I just started wearing it and have been smoothing the wrinkled areas out with my hand. They are almost gone now.

So basically, a leather jacket can 'technically' be cleaned by a professional dry cleaner, but in actuality, dry cleaning should always be avoided?

Striker

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Striker said:
So basically, a leather jacket can 'technically' be cleaned by a professional dry cleaner, but in actuality, dry cleaning should always be avoided?

Yes, the cleaning process removes oils from the leather, can cause colour loss, or changes, and it's expensive.

I once got as far as the counter ... then they pulled out the indemnity form. :)

Jaydee

Striker said:

Striker

I believe leather cleaning is covered in another post but in short:
General Concensus (And I agree!)
Lexol PH balanced leather soap to clean. Let fully dry and then apply Pecard Leather Dressing (Conditioner) and let soak in. Finish it off by buffing off the excess Pecard, and vwhala! Clean, protected leather. ;)
Don't trust the Dry Rotters...I mean Cleaners.
-Jay