• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting into hot water

deand

Just a comparison of my goatskin A-2 before and after a few hot water treatments and some addition of hand painted insignia:

Before:
460963488_1609658221_437533127_1-1.jpg

After:(The white smudge near the waistband knit is actually on the mirror I used for the photo, which I flipped in editing to keep the 9th BS insignia correct. :)
GetAttachmentasas-1.jpg

dean

fishmeok

Looks much better- fit looks better too. It's amazing how well a goatskin jacket will mould to fit with a little persuasion.
Cheers
Mark

deand

Persimmon said:
Dean,
Has it shrunk a little in length ?
Alan

Yes, and the sleeves. The shrinkage was indeed pervasive, but I was willing to risk it, since I was not too enamored with it as it was, and i'd read that goat endures abuse pretty well. ;) I'm pretty sure I'm slightly taller than RD, but the similarity is striking, and one that no one has ever pointed about before, until the VLJ. Way to go, guys!

dean

CBI

thanks for posting but really hard to tell based on these pics. I do notice the shrinkage - looks good.

deand

CBI said:
thanks for posting but really hard to tell based on these pics. I do notice the shrinkage - looks good.

Agreed, the photos are not the best, yet I think they give a general impression of a difference bewteen the two states of the jacket. I hesitated to attempt the hot water treatment, reading about varying experiences, but I reached such a level of disaffection with the jecket that I went for it. Therefore I don't have better 'before' shots, and since I hestitate to ask my wife to act as photographer, and my youngest son, who took the 'before' shot before it ever was intended as a 'before' shot, who is always gone("Jackets and hats are your thing...I don't have to understand it.") I'm left with mirror studio efforts. I think I would have really hestitated trying it with a GW! You're a braver man than I!

dean

deand

Peter Graham said:
Dean, the treatment is very noticeable. It's a vast improvement. Well done.

Thanks, Peter! I might add that the grain on the leather became more pronounced, happily! In the first picture I think you can see how like vinyl it looked, and the second less so. Maybe I'm just projecting, though. I still think it's different than before.

dean

rich

The sleeve around the elbow now looks like a WW2 jacket, especially when compared to the 'before' pic.

deand

rich said:
The sleeve around the elbow now looks like a WW2 jacket, especially when compared to the 'before' pic.

It does! I love how the sleeves came out. Nice avatar, Rich!

dean

deand

drew parker said:
Looks alittle like Trapper John also. ;) What make a2 is it?

Yeah, there was a closer likeness to Pernell Roberts years ago before the grey took over more completely:

tjpr.jpg

Copyof460963137_1609656794_43753-1.jpg

As to the A-2, I'm not sure who exactly produced it, I bought it from "US Bomber Jackets" on line. It's from a source that seller has accessed and he simply puts his own tag on them.

dean