• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General Bruce K. Holloway and Chenaults A-2 jacket

Curahee

These jackets are my favorites, General Bruce K. Holloway 23 FS -14 AAF and General Chenaults jacket mmmh....both Aero
21996 and 16160

GeneralKBruceHolloway03.jpg

[/img]
GeneralKBruceHolloway02-1.jpg
GeneralKBruceHolloway01.jpg

ChennaultsA-2-1.jpg
ChennaultsA-22-1.jpg
ChennaultsA-23.jpg

Andrew

TankBuster said:
Chenaults jacket is great! Love seeing the jacket, and the wartime
pic of him wearing it!

I agree, it's always interesting to see period photos of a jacket then comparing it to how it looks today. It's a tangible link to that time and person.

Also looks like Chenaults face had more grain than his well worn A-2.

TankBuster

Leadsky said:
TankBuster said:
Chenaults jacket is great! Love seeing the jacket, and the wartime
pic of him wearing it!

I agree, it's always interesting to see period photos of a jacket then comparing it to how it looks today. It's a tangible link to that time and person.

Also looks like Chenaults face had more grain than his well worn A-2.

:lol: :lol: Are we sure that isn't Steerhide?! 1942 out of a Box!

greyhound52

Great pics thanks for putting them on here. Wearing my GW Aero 16160 today and gotta say John did a heck of a job reproducing this jacket when compared to Chenaults jacket.

better duck

greyhound52 said:
Wearing my GW Aero 16160 today.
What colour is yours? Mine is seal and quite a lot darker than general Chennaults jacket, more like general Holloways jacket.

JRaptor

Seen these jackets many times, the first three pic's are from the Air Force Museum here in Dayton. The AERO's have always been my favorite.

Hamsterbear

Here's my Chennault "Flying Tiger" A-2...
It's an Aero "Real Deal" with Aero patches on the shoulders and a hand painted Flying Tiger patch on the front.
-Brian
AeroRealDealChennault01.jpg

FlyingTigerjacket.jpg

I guess i have a "Holloway" jacket as well....
Eastman1980s.jpg

greyhound52

Hamsterbear said:
Here's my Chennault "Flying Tiger" A-2...
It's an Aero "Real Deal" with Aero patches on the shoulders and a hand painted Flying Tiger patch on the front.
-Brian
AeroRealDealChennault01.jpg

Brian,
Very cool.

greyhound52

better duck said:
greyhound52 said:
What colour is yours? Mine is seal and quite a lot darker than general Chennaults jacket, more like general Holloways jacket.

I have both the seal and russett version GWs. Here is how they looked new.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/1 ... t_view.jpg

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/1 ... _view1.jpg

Here is how the seal looks now. The russett is still new enough that is it not as worn.

IMG_0032.jpg

Curahee

better duck said:
greyhound52 said:

But that's an Aero 21996 contract wich was mostly done in seal
Still yours looks good too as does your GW Dubow I might add

I just came across your post on the repro section, maybe little
late on my response time but outstanding jackets BD enjoy ;)

Curahee

Django said:
Is it me or is the Flying Tiger patch bigger in the photo than on the jacket today?

I think that's just you, pic was taken from an angle looking up that may explain the distortion of the round disc

Andrew

Curahee said:
Django said:
Is it me or is the Flying Tiger patch bigger in the photo than on the jacket today?

I think that's just you, pic was taken from an angle looking up that may explain the distortion of the round disc

It does indeed appear larger in the period pic but it's the angle. The distances to the nameplate and pocket are the same and both have the crease across the middle.

I find the state of the knits interesting- I wonder if he wore also it gardening/ painting the house etc after retirement :lol:

Chandler

Leadsky said:
I wonder if he wore also it gardening/ painting the house etc after retirement :lol:

I think that was mandatory -- I've owned a few vintage flight jackets over the years, I think they all had a smudge of paint somewhere or another.

Chandler