• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GAU, AR-15, M4, What is it?

a2jacketpatches

Considering that back in the late 80's, I was wearing an N-3 Flight Parka while toting a very similar weapon, I'll consider this related gear and appropriate for this forum.

We called it the GAU ( Ground Assault Unit ) I bought it some time back while on the hunt of a B-15 Jacket, it was sitting on a bed at an estate sale and everyone seemed a reluctant to buy it, maybe in fear of legal problems. I'm in CA and was thinking the same but grabbed it anyway. Come to find out, it's perfectly legal for me to have and the CA restrictions are on the lower receiver ( Mag release, FFL requirement, 10 round max capacity magazine, etc. )

I'm hoping someone can give me the straight skinny on it. I've been researching only to find it called by many names, reproduce by several Mfgs, and in countless configurations. This has Colt maker marks and I believe it's from the 80's. From what I see, it's not an easy one to find as an original Colt. So my questions are -

1) Is it a rare upper receiver?
2) What exactly is this piece called?
3) Is it a military or civilian version?
4) When a gun shop offered me 200- was that a fair offer?
5) how much would it cost to complete it?

Ever since my AF days in the 80's, I always wanted one, but on the other hand, I may do some trading considering the restrictions. I'm more into WW2 Bolt action and eyeballing a Mosin Nagant presently. Any info to point me in the right direction with this is greatly appreciated.

GAU001.jpg

GAU002.jpg

GAU003.jpg

GAU004.jpg

GAU005.jpg

GAU006.jpg

GAU007.jpg

GAU008.jpg

GAU009.jpg

GAU010.jpg

GAU011.jpg

GAU012.jpg

watchmanjimg

Re: GAU, AR-15, M4, AR-15 What is it?

I wouldn't call this a rare upper. It's civilian, and I suspect it was produced during the federal Assault Weapons Ban of 1994-2004 due to the absence of the bayonet lug. Even without the bolt group it's likely worth a bit more than $200, but this depends on local market conditions. Gun shops rarely offer fair value for used items in my experience. As to the cost of completing it, I recently saw a very nice complete M4-style rifle go for $750 here in Orlando.

a2jacketpatches

M4 style is what I'm finding everywhere, what are your thoughts on this being Colt. A few guys told me they simply can't get original Colt parts these days. This has been around a while and has a few marks, but it is NOS original Colt.

Phantomfixer

nice, if a dealer offered you 2 bills I would think it is worth at least twice that...I would try to complete it. There are sites that have USGI hardware that would complete it
very nice

dav3469

If you do decide to complete it, here in CA, make sure you do due diligence on your research on each and every of the "evil" features that can cause you grief here in CA. The "calguns" website has some nice flow charts and extensive information. You have a couple different "lists" you have to look at to be sure your rifle does not fall into any restricted category.

Lots of AR clones in CA now. But there have been prosecutions by District Attorneys. Some are overzealous, and don't know the law (or are trying to get a precedent set). But some have been because "builders" or buyers didn't know what they were doing. Sorry for the long winded response. Just hoping to pass on some information if you didn't have it. Which ever way you go, its a nice piece. Be it for a build or trade cash value.

a2jacketpatches

Any consideration of building would be through a CA gun shop for the parts, kind of a bummer that it won't be just like the one I carried, or even close. Something about the mag release thing and 10 round magazines just takes all the fun out of it these days. I may look into trading it for a WW2 something or other. A new friend of mine is dangling a Luftwaffe Dagger and some other German stuff for it, but I'd still like some kind of rifle.

a2jacketpatches

Found out it's an early 90's 6530 model, worth about 500 - 700 bucks, probably another 400- to complete it but most likely won't find original Colt parts.