• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G & B Historical A-2

WD8OKJ

I've had this about 4 years and unlike the Eastman house A-2 collecting dust in the closet it's a good fit. the only thing i don't like is the shine which hasn't diminished in all that time. Any suggestions on how to dull it down appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

Jason

I used a fine plastic kitchen scouring pad with one of my jackets that had a high gloss finish - worked OK, just don't be too aggressive with it.
Welcome to VLJ too.

Ta - Jason
(VK7ZJA - PSK31:14070 nut!)

T-Bolt

I used a very fine emery paper that I purchased at an auto paint supply store. Be sure it is a VERY fine grit that feels almost smooth to the touch. I don't remember the grit number. It worked PERFECTLY to dull the gloss on an A-2 I have. Start with a small piece folded into small square and use very light pressure to begin with. More pressure if it is needed.

Ted

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
T-Bolt said:
I used a very fine emery paper that I purchased at an auto paint supply store. Be sure it is a VERY fine grit that feels almost smooth to the touch. I don't remember the grit number.

Probably 600, that's what I use in furniture polishing. Break it in first, paper an old piece of wood, or the floor, before hitting the jacket.

A

Anonymous

I used just a little rubbing alcohol on a clean white tee shirt. That way if the dye comes off, you can back off a little. Sand paper is a little too much IMHO, and its very destructive to the threads if it comes into contact during rubbing. Plus the leather under the dye might be dark on a G/B Historical. Know what you mean about ELC being a hanger queen. Mine fits me like a potato sack. G/B Historical A-2 is my go to jacket. Good luck, let us know what works.

FlyingToastman

WD8OKJ said:
I've had this about 4 years and unlike the Eastman house A-2 collecting dust in the closet it's a good fit. the only thing i don't like is the shine which hasn't diminished in all that time. Any suggestions on how to dull it down appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

Dennis,

I've had my jacket for five years and all I can say is wear it - its been my daily wearer pretty much since I got in Oct 2003 and its become a second skin for me. It took a few years but it wears down.

Christos

rikitiki

I've had mine for two years and wore it for more than 1000 hours (10 hrs/week x 52 weeks x 2 years). I machine washed in cold water twice, and once in hot water, both air dried: and still looks new except that it has lots of grain now. Otherwise it looks and feels new and stiff. One tough jacket.

A

Anonymous

Plus if the zipper fails they fix it for free. Bomb proof jackets, never had a problem except they run large.