• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 ? need help to ID

fleet16b

On the w/end I was out doing the Tourist thing in the Town of Stratford Ontario Canada.
While my wife was looking thru a clothing store, I discovered that they had a small vintage clothing section and surprisingly on the rack was what I think is a G-1. At a price of $20 cn , I bought for my wife to wear in our biplane.
The jacket has some issues.
The lining is not original , the label is gone and the hanging strap is missing with to holes in the back where it was sewn on.
The main knit has been replaces and the cuff knits need to be done.
Collar is worn and balding in places. The main zip looks like it was replaced and has an ACME zipper. Size is a 42
You can see what I mean in the pics below.
My interest lies more in Air force jackets not Naval , so I pretty much know nothing about them.
If possible , I would like to know what type of jacket what year it was made , is it worth getting restored and anything else that the experts can tell me
P1010009.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010015.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010017.jpg

P1010018.jpg

Hawkeye

I wouldn't bother getting it restored . It would cost far more to have it restored than it would to straight out buy a nice condition G-1. Just keep looking in used/vintage clothing stores and nice late-60's, early 70s G-1s turn up in great condition for under 100 bucks. In one Toronto store alone last year I've found 3 excellent late 60's G-1s with beautiful mouton collars for around 70-80 bucks each. So they're out there.

fleet16b

Hawk
Ya I figured as much after looking at many comments on the Forum.
However I am curious about what it is , how old etc

Thanks

jack aranda

By the painted collar, the color of the mouton, the pencil slot I'll guess a 55J14 and wait to be corrected. Even if I'm right, I have no idea about manufacturer. Good luck.

dadgad

jack aranda said:
By the painted collar, the color of the mouton, the pencil slot I'll guess a 55J14 and wait to be corrected. Even if I'm right, I have no idea about manufacturer. Good luck.

I concur, not a Pritzker to add a note.

Maverickson

Hi,

After observing how low the loop hanger is attached past where the base of the collar meets the body of the jacket it makes me think that this is a 7823 ( AER ) model. As seen and for good reason, all 55J14 manufacturers connected the loop hanger at this connecting seam. Also, If I am not mistaken there is a void at the bottom of the wind flap or where the zipper box is located. Isn't this reminiscent of a Monarch?

Although this jacket appears to have had it's original zipper replaced upon closer examination or better photos of this area should reveal the correct identity of this jacket.

Cheers, Dave

fleet16b

Thanks Mav

Yes there is a void at the bottom of the wind flap.
It is really hard to tell if the zip has been replaced.
It is an ACME zip.
Did any of these naval jackets have ACMEs ?
Any idea of the age of this jacket
It is not worth much I am guess.
Most likely will sell it off and get the wife a better example.

Thanks