• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 Ideal USA zip sticks. Any advice?

rob20uk

I seem to be asking a lot of questions today.

I have a 1996 Military issue G-1 that has the ideal USA zip on it. The zip seems to be in good condition but when it’s zipped up the zip sometimes gets stuck. It almost seems jammed closed and you need to move the zipper from left to right to get it moving again. It seems very random.

I added a small bit of victorinox oil to the zipper and it still got stuck randomly. So my question is have you come across this issue before. Do you know what the solution is?

I have a hunch that the zipper might just have naturally reached the end of its life. Anyway it would be good to get your thoughts.

If the zip is at the end of its life that’s not a big issue as I have a NOS one from MASH that I can replace it with.

Again thanks for any advice on this.

MaydayWei

The solution is to lubricate it.
I know you've already tried to, but please hear me out.
The issue is that most who attempt to lubricate zips often fail to spread the lubrication evenly or sufficiently throughout the entirely of the zip.
As opposed to a ( potentially clumsier) application of vaseline by finger, I'd recommend leather wipes with natural oils.
It'll let you pinch both sides of the zip; which will allow you to run the oils up and down the zip much easier.
And because the leather wipes have oils for leather, it won't harm the surrounding leather either.
Good luck!

Chandler

Bees wax is a good lube for an old zipper and won't stain the leather or zip tape.

But yes, definitely get all the teeth.

rob20uk

The solution is to lubricate it.
I know you've already tried to, but please hear me out.
The issue is that most who attempt to lubricate zips often fail to spread the lubrication evenly or sufficiently throughout the entirely of the zip.
As opposed to a ( potentially clumsier) application of vaseline by finger, I'd recommend leather wipes with natural oils.
It'll let you pinch both sides of the zip; which will allow you to run the oils up and down the zip much easier.
And because the leather wipes have oils for leather, it won't harm the surrounding leather either.
Good luck!

Can I ask what would you use to lubricant the zip?

Micawber

Graphite.

Get rid of the oil. Undo zip. Run a dry, clean cloth up and down both sides of the teeth.

With the zip undone run an old school pencil up and down the length of the teeth on both sides of the zip and teeth taking care just to get the lead (graphite) just on the teeth. Then do up and undo the zip repeatedly until it runs smoothly. Remove any excess lead with a clean, dry cloth.

You don't need oil, just graphite.

My advice is to consult the forum before torturing any more jackets lol!

Last edited:

Micawber

Doesn't the graphite get all over?

Well spotted, I shall amend my words of wisdom above. Just run the side of the lead along the teeth, work the zip then remove any remaining lead by running a clean cloth up and down the zip.

Used sparingly beeswax is good too but not everyone has it and too much can clog up the teeth.

This has been discussed on here several times in the past.

rob20uk

I have done the above and I still get the random sticking. When the zip comes free it is often preceded by a small snap. I am pretty sure that the zipper is on its last legs and the issue is down to just wear and tear.