• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forth but First

Rutger

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BUZZ-RICKSON-Mens ... 3cb89c8071

Nice sweater. Would like to have one in 42 or 44, but for one peculiar thing:
Forth but first ? I suppose Fourth but first should be read.
Quite un-buzzricksonlike to make such a mistake.
Ah well, some people will complain just about everything.

KGrHqEOKpwE25TshUD3BN6WMtcF0_12.jpg

A

Anonymous

Fourth but first is correct. They are numbered fourth in some way, but they are first, or the best, or number one.

unclegrumpy

chitchat said:
Fourth but first. Buzz usually does not make mistakes, just way overpriced.
I suppose they could have copied this design from some old piece they found, but as a package, it is probably more of a fashion thing.

The "Fourth but First" is the Group/Wing's motto, not the squadron's. Being USAF, would put it into the very late 40's or later. Most original USAF sweatshirts from that period that I have seen have been gray, white, or blue....or in colors specifically related to the unit. The stenciling could have been used, but by then most of the designs you see are screened on and have a bit more to them.

I agree with Chitchat that it would be both cheaper and more authentic looking to stencil an old sweatshirt yourself.

greyhound52

I see things like this on Japanese tourist in Hawaii all the time. My fav was the take on " nothing is impossible". The shirt had "impossible is nothing". I almost spilled my morning coffee on that one.

MikeyB-17

I don't believe it is a mistake. 'Forth' in this instance I think means 'to go forth', ie. go out there. These guys go forth, but they go first. 'Forth' in that respect has no 'U'.

unclegrumpy

MikeyB-17 said:
I don't believe it is a mistake. 'Forth' in this instance I think means 'to go forth', ie. go out there. These guys go forth, but they go first. 'Forth' in that respect has no 'U'.
The "fourth" refers to the 4th Fighter Group or later Wing. Interestingly, your comment points out Buzz's spelling error in the 4th's motto!

images

A

Anonymous

If you read the link provided, there will be no more speculation.