• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flying boot repop comparison

fishmeok

Thought this might be an interesting comparison. A pair of Cockpit 1936 boots in brown and the hard to find Aero A11 flight boots. The Cockpit boots had a bad dye job on them to make them black and I had to strip and re-finish. Ended up having to paint them with Angelus leather paint to get a good finish. The Aero boots are horsehide and super comfy- but as rare as they are I don't wear them much, and not in the winter...

FYI, the cockpit boots run AT LEAST a full size smaller than the tagged size. These are a 10 and just a bit tight. I have been looking for a pair of brown 36's for years in my size, have been through at least 3 pairs of the black ones that were always just a little too small....

013_zpsae6c9c93.jpg

012_zps2fad5acd.jpg

And the Cockpit boots in black:

018-2_zps06d2d972.jpg

015-1_zps3f984052.jpg

fleet16b

I too have a pair of the Cockpit 36ers.
The details are spot on when compared to originals
IMHO these are the best repro that were made except for that treaded sole.
I took mine to a cobbler and he removed the rubber treaded sole and replaced with leather.
They now look perfect

flyboy

Don't think so. I used to have a pair of Cockpit 1936 boots too. The only thing wrong - as far as I remember - besides the small sizes and the horrible soles, were the seams. They were not "saddlers seams" as on the originals. Besides that: Great boots!
I sold mine due to the narrow size and am now - as I write - wearing a pair of 1936 pattern from Aero. Great boots too. And also not in production. Unfortunately.