• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FLAK KNOCKS PINUP FROM SKY

442RCT

The semi-risque 40- by 36-inch promotion for the annual S.I. bikini edition didn't make it more than a week before political correctness scraped it off the nose of an AirTran Airways Boeing 737. The flight attendants didn't appreciate the World War II-style pinup. They thought it would lead to guys on planes asking for more than a pillow. The eye-catching piece shows a leggy blonde in a black one-piece in front of a purple circle with the message "Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2010."

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...es-333120.html

Watts-Nose-Art-KELS_246677e.jpg

I'm guessing this pinup girl with a one piece bathing suit on the back of a flight jacket would be less offensive because it wouldn't be sponsored by a corporation. The artist did a mighty fine job, he'd be a very popular guy at a WW2 air base. ;)

Hamsterbear

"The flight attendants didn't appreciate the World War II-style pinup. "

That's probably because the modern flight attendant doesn't look anwhere near like that...........

Hunter57

It's not even particularly war-time style, to my eye, anyway. Perhaps a more period look might have gone over better?

Hunter57

The actual vintage art is more pinup/girl-next-door, and less "come hither". :D Still would prefer that over the modern version.