• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star A-1 How does it fit?

Xopher

What’s the general consensus on Fivestar A-1 jackets?

Are they as historically accurate as their A-2s?

How does the Five Star A-1 fit? Especially in the shoulders.

I had two 5* Waldo pepper jackets and they were super constricting in the shoulders around the deltoid muscles so I sold them.

I think this was because it was a very boxy fit and the sleeves were sewn in at an angle like a business suit so you couldn’t lift your arms easily.

Is this the case with their standard A-1s or is that pattern better wearing?

Thanks all

mulceber

The thing about A-1s is that almost nobody has been able to base their pattern on an original, since originals are so rare. Eastman is the only one I know of for sure. I seem to recall hearing that either Buzz or Real McCoy might have been able to do so as well? John Chapman has a good enough eye that I don't doubt he could probably look at the pictures and make a pretty accurate reproduction. But apart from those, any A-1 you get, including Five Star's, is just the creator's best guess of what the originals were like.

I can't really comment on the fit, since I went with totally custom measurements. I think you could do so as well and it would work out.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Have you considered looking at a Bronson’s A1? They are made from medium weight goatskin and very are durable. Accurate enough for a repro and the cost is reasonable for what you get .

Thomas Koehle

I own a BRONSON A1 and might part with it.

At least i can post some pics if required ...

That's a photo i took some time ago during "elevator season" but i can snap some newer stuff also

AvlHhng.jpg

CBI

five star A-1's fit well except the arm holes tend to be large. Bronson gets this more correctly. Have had 2 of both makers, Bronson preferred by far (but currently sold out).