• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally Bought A Spearhead A-1

Atticus

I tried to talk myself out of it, but they just look cool to me. Did we decide that there was or wasn't a wool version of the A-1? I seem to remember seeing photos of AAF pilots wearing wool A-1s, but maybe I thinking of something else.

Anyhow, this jacket looks "vintage" even if it turns out to be a repro of something that never existed. And the price is right.

ts01401.jpg

AF

ghq1

Thinking about one for myself . . .What size are you and what size did you buy?

I'm either a 44 or 46 . . .but would rather buy big then shrink if necessary . . ..

Atticus

ghq1 said:
Thinking about one for myself . . .What size are you and what size did you buy?

I'm either a 44 or 46 . . .but would rather buy big then shrink if necessary . . ..
Chitchat bought one of these a few months ago. He wrote this review:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9576&hilit=spearhead

It appears that Spearhead makes this jacket true to size, so I bought my normal 48.

AF

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Atticus said:
Did we decide that there was or wasn't a wool version of the A-1?

I think you know the answer, Geoff .... they just look cool is reason enough. :cool:

a2jacketpatches

I own chitchats now, nice jacket, Pretty sure they had something like these with funky looking waistband and cuffs, odd colors for military issue. Not aviator specific, but I'd bet a dollar that someone, somewhere, some time, flew a plane wearing one. I think I'll hand embroider patches for it, cloth on cloth will look great, something late 30's. At least nobody can say for sure it never happened.

Atticus

a2jacketpatches said:
...At least nobody can say for sure it never happened.
I sometimes tell juries a similar thing. When a defendant's lawyer argues that the State didn't "prove" that some crazy defense theory didn't happen, I remind the jury that nobody can "prove" that Tralfamadorians didn't land in their back yards while they slept...but they're not likely to find Tralfamadorian poop on their patios.

AF