• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Gordon & Ferguson M-422A size 42

bazelot

I haven't bought any jackets for a long time. I have mostly been focused on WWII naval aviator helmets. I was looking for another M-422A to purchase but was in no rush. I just bought this one. It is in fantastic shape. Leather is really soft and supple, one of the best I have seen on a M-422A. It has its original Talon zipper which works perfectly well and it was depot refurbished sometimes during the war. Knits and waistband are perfect and so is the lining. Collar is also in outstanding condition.
Size wise it is a generous 42. It's a bit long on me so I might sell it.

Pit to Pit: 22.5"
Sleeve length: 25"
Shoulder tip to shoulder tip: 18.5"
back length: 25.5"

079a27.jpg

079a25.jpg

079a24.jpg

079a23.jpg

079a22.jpg

079a20.jpg

079a19.jpg

079a18.jpg

079a17.jpg

079a15.jpg

079a14.jpg

079a13.jpg

079a12.jpg

079a9.jpg

079a7.jpg

079a5.jpg

Dr H

Fine looking jacket - this G&F pattern is really growing on me.
This hide a far darker than Andrew's previous post - was there a concerted shift towards a darker hide/darker mouton?

Oh, and if it were a 44 :mrgreen:

bazelot

Roughwear said:
Lovely G&F jacket Tom. It looks as if the jacket was lightly re-sprayed in the War. The lining is quite a different colour from mine.
THe lining it the brown lining that was used on all the refurbished jackets I have seen so it is not original to the jacket. The jacket does not look like it was resprayed. I had different G&F M-422As over the years and some are darker than others.

bazelot

Roughwear said:
I notice the USN lettering has a brownish hint to it which might suggest it has been darkened a little.

That's a good point. I will look closer tonight for signs of respray. If it was resprayed they did a really good job when the knits, waistband and lining were off. THe zipper is original so thta should be easy to tell.

Roughwear

The tread is very dark, almost black which might indicate a re-paint job Tom. The thread on my jacket is much lighter. I suspect the knits were replaced at the same time. I can see several stitch holes on the leather near the wristlets. It may have been re-lined at the same time Tom. It has been done very well indeed.

Peter Graham

Great looking jacket Tom. If it has been refurbished, would the mouton have been replaced at the same time ?

bazelot

Peter Graham said:
Great looking jacket Tom. If it has been refurbished, would the mouton have been replaced at the same time ?

It should have been but it looks like this one was not. Usually the zipper is also replaced but in this case it was not. The original Talon zipper is still in perfect shape so it is no wonder it was not replaced. The jacket used to have a single patch sewn on the right side of the chest before the refurbish.

bazelot

I looked at the jacket closer and it is impossible to say whether it was resprayed or not. It looks like it was not, the only weird thing is the USN is smudged over. I looked inside the pockets, around stitching, behind the collar tab, it's all the same color. Also the color is lighter than on the pics, for one reason or another the jacket appears darker on the pictures.
I wore it this morning and it looks like the fit may not be all that much too long.

bazelot

Dr H said:
Keep it Tom, looks great.

It does look great. I will wear it for a few weeks to see if I can live with the extra length. It's not as long as the one I sold to Andrew which was also a size 42.

Roughwear

bazelot said:
I looked at the jacket closer and it is impossible to say whether it was resprayed or not. It looks like it was not, the only weird thing is the USN is smudged over. I looked inside the pockets, around stitching, behind the collar tab, it's all the same color. Also the color is lighter than on the pics, for one reason or another the jacket appears darker on the pictures.
I wore it this morning and it looks like the fit may not be all that much too long.

How do you explain the brown tinge to the USN lettering Tom and the very dark thread?

bazelot

Roughwear said:
How do you explain the brown tinge to the USN lettering Tom and the very dark thread?

I am not going to lie to you, I have absolutely no idea. :)
THe only resprayed jackets I had seen before are A-2s and the Army used a spray that was impossible to miss for anything else. If this jacket has been resprayed it was done with something that was more subtle. I will take it outside where it is sunny and look for signs.

Dr H

Could a previous owner have used coloured polish (shoe polish?) to refresh it?
That could have darkened the thread.

bazelot

I looked at it outside (very sunny out today) and it was not resprayed. It looks like the jacket was never worn after the refurbish, also when I got it was covered in dust thta had been sitting there for a while so the seller did not do anything to it. It is possible that the jacket was resprayed with some stuff that did not dye it and some of it may have smudged the USN. I really don't know.
Outside the color is more of a reddish tone.

A

Anonymous

I also don't think it's resprayed (have not handled it but judging from the other originals I have seen)

The color here looks OK, not too dark

079a19.jpg