• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Sizing Question

442RCT

My 10 or 15 year old ELC is a size 40 and a perfect fit for me, (I have no idea which contract it was, or if it was just a house jacket).
Would an ELC in their Star contract in 42 be too big, or is ELC sizing pretty consistent ? I don't want to bid on a jacket that's going to be too big.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
442RCT said:
Would an ELC in their Star contract in 42 be too big ...

Check the measurements, but the 42 Star should be fine.

Original contract jackets tend to fit a little trimmer than the house (Eastman on the label) style, and earlier ELC are known to be a little more roomy.

442RCT

deeb7 said:
442RCT said:
Would an ELC in their Star contract in 42 be too big ...

Check the measurements, but the 42 Star should be fine.

Original contract jackets tend to fit a little trimmer than the house (Eastman on the label) style, and earlier ELC are known to be a little more roomy.

There was not measurements, I did request them from the seller though.

As always, thanks for your experienced advice.

Jay

rich

442RCT said:
My 10 or 15 year old ELC is a size 40 and a perfect fit for me, (I have no idea which contract it was, or if it was just a house jacket).
Would an ELC in their Star contract in 42 be too big, or is ELC sizing pretty consistent ? I don't want to bid on a jacket that's going to be too big.

Have to agree with David. But I don't think ELC made all their contract jackets 15 years ago? - if the label says Property of Eastman then it's their house jacket. The cut has changed over that time frame though and the newer jackets are much trimmer. I recently tried to discover which was the 'biggest' of Eastman's current contract styles and I came away with the impression that they are all very similar with the exception of the Werber which is known to run small.
Really best that you get exact measurements, it often seems that whatever the size is on the label, it's only an approximation -
and it's hateful to be stuck with an ill-fitting jacket................

rich

deeb7 said:
rich said:
Have to agree with David. But I don't think ELC made all their contract jackets 15 years ago?

I was assuming that the Star would be newer than Jay's jacket, meaning that, on both counts, it should be a trimmer fit, and it should be safe to size up.

But looking at the measurements on Acme Depot .... maybe not.

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/measure.shtml

I think that's why so many people bang on about the ELC stand at Duxford - the simple pleasure of trying the damn thing on before you buy it! That's a great resource David, be good to compile a similar database here......??????

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
rich said:
That's a great resource David, be good to compile a similar database here......??????

Yes, the author is a member here. :)

I believe that it was discussed on an earlier VLJ. It sure would be helpful, but I don't know how it would work on this format.

269sqnhudson

I just last week returned an ELC house style A-2 I'd just received to exchange for a Star in the same size. Alan said on the phone that the Star is "cut larger" than the house A2 I was returning just so I was aware.

The house style was good btw but I decided that the Star might be a better bet.

T

442RCT

I'll keep this in mind for the future. It was good that I was outbid in the auction for the ELC Star contract in size 42, which would have been 'oversized' for me since I wear a size 40 in the ELC house style. For the Real McCoy Rough wear contract I just received, a size 42 is equivalent to the ELC 40 for fit.

Curahee

I also own an ELC "house style version" (2008 HH Havana) in a size 40 and it's spot on !
In fact at first I thought it was too small :shock: For reference I'm 6ft, 70 Kg, chestsize exactly 40 inch and have otherwise a normal posture.

This argument about baggy fitting ELC A-2's is just outdated for at east 2 years now, and no I'm not Gary or Alan or some ELC employee

Chandler

Curahee said:
This argument about baggy fitting ELC A-2's is just outdated for at east 2 years now

Meaning, what? That it's a moot point because there is so much evidence that the A-2 fits varied wide and far from its inception to its removal from service? Yeah, I'll buy that -- just look at the pictures of the Doolittle Raiders JC has at the Good Wear site, you can see just about any fit to support any argument.

Chandler

442RCT

Curahee said:
I also own an ELC "house style version" (2008 HH Havana) in a size 40 and it's spot on !
In fact at first I thought it was too small :shock: For reference I'm 6ft, 70 Kg, chestsize exactly 40 inch and have otherwise a normal posture.

My ELC "house style" is over 10 years old in a size 40 and I'm pretty comfortable with the fit, even though I'm shorter than you are, more J. Doolittle size and about the same weight. Depending on the A-2 manufacturer, I fit into either a size 40 or 42. ELC house would be 40, RMZ Rough Wear 42.

But to be honest, I'm not really all that picky about the fit, unless the sleeves are too long. I have one el cheapo A-2 where the torso is okay, but the sleeves are 4" too long...musta' been made for a chimp.