• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Pearl Harbor collection?

Chandler

Grant said:
I've yet to see definitive proof that steer hide was used in A-2s.

But have you seen any proof that it wasn't? I guess that's my question.

That's not to say it wasn't used though, as there are originals that look like they could be steer.

Can you really tell by looking? And I guess that's my other point (as Cliff also points out below -- nice jacket Cliff), with the wide variety of hides used for A-2s throughout the war, and the quantity manufactured, how can you really tell between horsehide and steerhide?

Chandler

A

Anonymous

You can't tell. It's that simple. It was done to death on earlier versions of this forum. Sadly, like so many other very worthwhile posts, photos and discussions, it's gone. God, what a treasure trove of info went. All the old posts of a very select few who have had them all in their times and who were so willing to share their knowledge :cry: . There was far more posting about originals then than now where it's more about the repros than the originals.

It does strike me as strange though that so many steer jackets of today end up looking exactly like 'horse' jackets of the period. Whilst the modern horse ones rarely look like the originals.

Providing the hide gives you the appearance you personally are looking for, does it really matter ? You could buy an a-2 in steer and publish photos of it saying that it is horse and get away with it :D

Dave

Cliff

You could buy an a-2 in steer and publish photos of it saying that it is horse and get away with it

Aw ! that would be fibbing !!! ;)

I am sure in one of the old forums there was a post about a tanner actually saying the only way to tell the difference was to chemically test (or was it DNA) the hides, as hides can be made to "look" as if they come from any type of animal. If my bloody dog doesn't stop barking I will be having an A2 made up in elderly Jack Russell !!!! :evil:

A

Anonymous

You look like you may need more than one Jack Russell Cliff ! ;)

I think that steer and horse can be made to look like each other. Or at least both can look the same. BUT you'll NEVER make anything look like goat nor make goat look like anything other than goat. Look at those aweful G-1's where steer was made to look like the goat. Truly terrible !

Dave

Cliff

Sir !!! What are you implying .....that my dog is small or that I am, ....well ....large ?? :lol: :lol:

Yes fake Goat would be tricky. I think the the discussion was about similar finishes. Steer, Cow, Horse, DOG !!! :roll:

rgds

Cliff

Chandler

JACKET_ HEAD said:
It does strike me as strange though that so many steer jackets of today end up looking exactly like 'horse' jackets of the period. Whilst the modern horse ones rarely look like the originals.

My observation too, I wonder why that is. I suppose some of the GW owners would probably tell you that John is getting that look from his HH as well, but I wonder why his hides are different?

Providing the hide gives you the appearance you personally are looking for, does it really matter ?

That's what I'm saying, and why I like my Star so much.

Chandler

Chandler

Cliff said:
Yes fake Goat would be tricky.

I don't know, wasn't the US Navy "faking" their G-1 hides for a while in the late '60s? Taking steerhide and embossing it with grain to look like goat?

Yeah, I know -- wasn't really the Navy doing it themselves, and it probably was easy to tell it was counterfeit.

Chandler

Curahee

For comparison a few pics of my (brand new btw) .50 CAL hide

50cal020.jpg
50cal019.jpg

Too bad though that it doesn't have the same nice wrinkling yours does, but I will give it hell this winter :twisted:

CBI

HH has always looked much smoother to me than cow/steer. When HH wears and grains up is still looks like it has that smooth base. Cow/steer has a defined "pattern/grain/texture for lack of a better term(s) even when smooth. I have always been able to tell the difference with jackets in person unless its a period original with so many years of wear/texture that is can be hard to tell. I think with new repros, its pretty evident, at least in person.

A

Anonymous

Chandler said:
Cliff said:
Yes fake Goat would be tricky.

I don't know, wasn't the US Navy "faking" their G-1 hides for a while in the late '60s? Taking steerhide and embossing it with grain to look like goat?

Yeah, I know -- wasn't really the Navy doing it themselves, and it probably was easy to tell it was counterfeit.

Chandler

Yes Chandler, it was VERY easy to spot embossed steer. It didn't wear as well as goat either.

Jeroen, GREAT lookin' A-2 ! I returned two .50cals to Gary because they didn't have the amount of grain I was looking for. And I'd specified I wanted a very grainy jacket. I've made up my mind only to buy an A-2 from photos or in the flesh as totally blind from a maker has never given me a jacket I'm really happy with.

Dave

Chandler

CBI said:
HH has always looked much smoother to me than cow/steer.

I have a very old steerhide jacket from the late '70s that's about as smooth as any new HH I've ever seen, and I had an old horsehide jacket from the late '80s that had more grain than many goatskin jackets I've seen. Just goes to show that not every hide, from every species, ends up the same on a jacket.

My brother has the old HH jacket and has been threatening to give it to the Salvation Army -- I'll have to see if I can get it from him for some pics.

Chandler