• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC house VS ELC Pearl harbor

Damien

Hi,

What is the best looking jacket between the eastman house and the eastman pearl harbor?

Like many each others I love the look of the Virgil hilts rw jacket. It's why I think that the PH A2 interest me.
The PH have a collar stand But I am not a fan of artificial timeworn and I don't know if the steerhide would satisfy me.
The house pattern offer the possibility to have warhorse hide , no timeworm and a less price.

Can you help me?

thanks!

ps: (I don't want to take a Goodwear or ELC roughwear because they are too expensive for me.)

colekwok

Hi Damien,

I would go for the ELC House horsehide.

I have bought the .50Cal recently which is a steerhide with time worn treatment. The reason was, I like the old colour combination of the seal brown plus the red/rusty knits. But I have already have another Aero already, so I just went for the look. But I can assure you, you will never be statisfied by a steerhide A-2. So, once and for all, just go for the house HH and age it on your own.

Colin

Marv

As a current owner of an ELC PH A2 in the american walnut shade which I have had for about a year now, I cannot praise it highly enough.
It is a fantastic jacket, the timeworn finish is subtle and authentic, the steerhide is excellent with large areas of grain which gets better with age and wear plus you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the steerhide and horsehide if compared.
The fit I would say is probably slightly trimmer than the ELC house A2 model so something to be aware of, anyway here are a few pics of my jacket taken ealier this year.
Not the best pics but should give some idea if how it looks, also the colour of the hide looks darker in the photos than in reality (see ELC website for correct colour)....

The first few are of the areas of grain around the jacket...

eb3e939c.jpg

8f4d2695.jpg

9b05706c.jpg

939c9e8f.jpg

These are just a few general pics of the jacket...

7d6e6b91.jpg

f17704ec.jpg

87c404a4.jpg

f149ee61.jpg

Hope this helps.......

Tim P

My only bugbear with th PH jackets are that my persaonal preference is to avoid collar stands on A-2s. Its a build thing..

zoomer

I note with some surprise that the Pearl Harbor in worn steer is priced higher than some of their unworn horsehide jackets - there goes the price advantage of steer...

Jaguar46

Tim P said:
My only bugbear with th PH jackets are that my persaonal preference is to avoid collar stands on A-2s. Its a build thing..
I assume you mean they don't build the collar stand well enough? Or you don't like the way it fits? Please explain.

Tim P

I dont like roughwear jackets because of the way the feel on my neck. I tried on a few of the pearl harbor jackets too at the ELC stall and each of them felt awkward around the neck.
However nice they look I find that a jacket such as a star, monarch etc where there is no additional leather trim where the collar meets the neck of the jacket is way more comfortable and sits easier on me.

just my preference...