• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC 1936 pattern flying boots

havocpaul

regret not buying a pair at the time, so now looking forward to Lewis Leathers/Aviakit flying boots later this year.

A

Anonymous

Is it just the photogaphs or do these look like a pretty poor copy ??

Dave

Andrew

Dave, they have issues but they're by all accounts the best copy that's been (not having ever seen a pair but I know originals). I thought they'd be worth the original price due to the wearable size but no more. Guess I was wrong!

A

Anonymous

Interesting to hear that Andrew. I had always assumed that the Aero ones were better.
I always stand to be corrected :)
It is difficult to judge as I've only seen the 1936 pattern boots well worn.have you ever seen an unworn, mint pair yourself ?
Cheers
Dave

ausreenactor

Shearling boots are an item I would be reluctant to buy second hand. Probably just me, but it would be hard to dry clean them.
Feet/foot mank is a bit too much..

Couchy

Andrew

JACKET_ HEAD said:
It is difficult to judge as I've only seen the 1936 pattern boots well worn.have you ever seen an unworn, mint pair yourself ?
Cheers
Dave

No, I haven't Dave, but I don't think anyone else has either. The closest i've seen are this pair of Aussie built brown ones I have which really do look like new save for the slight sole wear. When I bought these the seller was under the impression that they were repros- I knew better :cool: I have and have had both brit made AM stamped '36'ers, the civvy version and the aussie ones and the pattern is basically exactly the same.
The frustration is that this pair are too small for me to try on :cry:

I've been super critical about the shots of the repros i've seen, and I would have liked to have bought those ELC's just out of interest to compare but I don't think that Aero have captured the correct shape.

RIMG0010.jpg

RIMG0028.jpg

RIMG0025.jpg

RIMG0016.jpg

rich

I seem to remember this as a topic at TFL - a critical feature was something to do with vamps, can't remember what they are.... :?

Roughwear

rich said:
I seem to remember this as a topic at TFL - a critical feature was something to do with vamps, can't remember what they are.... :?

The vamp is the tongue-shaped piece of leather on the front of the boot. The shape of the vamp is not 100% accurate on Aero and ELC repro 36 boots.

rich

The vamp is the tongue-shaped piece of leather on the front of the boot. The shape of the vamp is not 100% accurate on Aero and ELC repro 36 boots.

Thanks Andrew - seems a strange anomaly though, surely it takes as long to cut the shape right as wrong, and uses no more leather? But then WTF do I know!

Andrew

rich said:

Thanks Andrew - seems a strange anomaly though, surely it takes as long to cut the shape right as wrong, and uses no more leather? But then WTF do I know!

Rich, I can say the same- I know nothing about how to make a boot but it seems to me that none of the repros has managed to emulate not only the vamp but also the calf shape, ankle width and height (now i'm starting to sound like a jacket nut). They just don't look correct and convincing.

I have some shots stored somewhere of these boots being made in the Bedggood factory showing the various stages of manufacture. They show the patterns being cut, assembled stored and delivered. Something I was planning to send RM Williams if that idea of seeing if they could make "the" perfect repro ever got up- which it didn't.....

rich

I know nothing about how to make a boot but it seems to me that none of the repros has managed to emulate not only the vamp but also the calf shape, ankle width and height (now i'm starting to sound like a jacket nut). They just don't look correct and convincing.

Yes, if the patterns for the repro are taken from originals, you're left wondering why they drift so badly from the source. Same issue with the Irvin sleeve - I guess we're just a bunch of picky buggers......... ;)

A

Anonymous

So what we're saying then is that I was pretty much on the nail when I said they aren't a good repro ?? :roll: And that there isn't a good repro ? Yet !

Getting all nostalgic, I remember back in the 70's when a place called Tablot House Textiles (now LONG gone) were selling the 1936 pattern boots for a fiver in smaller sizes and a tenner for man sizes ........... oh how times change !

Dave