• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman RW 1401

kobol

Good Day,
While still waiting on my GW Werber, I was able to pick up an ELC Roughwear 1401 w/ NOS Talon zip for $300 slightly used (purchased 7 - 8 years ago). It's my first real higher end repro. My previous A-2's have been an Avirex and a US Authentic. This jacket is definitely lighter in weight than the US Authentic and doesn't seem to have much wear. I only have the pictures I was emailed originally. Tonight I plan on giving it a hot water treatment to personalize the fit and hopefully bring out some more grain.

Eastman-front.jpg

Eastman-back.jpg

kobol

It's a 44R.
After seeing so many beautiful jackets here, I just couldn't resist. Something to tide me over until I take delivery of the GW. This site has been great in learning about all the different contracts out there. This is my first experience with a Roughwear and feels pretty comfortable. I think I'm becoming addicted.

fleet16b

Kobol

Nice jacket !

I have the same one . Purchased it in 2003.
The jacket has served me well and has over 500 flight hours on it now.
She's a lot more scuffed and worn than yours but is definitely one tough jacket.
I did the hot water treatment and I think you will be happy with the way it brings out the grain in the horsehide.
Enjoy the jacket.

kobol

I bought it over at the FL last week. I was considering a new military issue A-2 from Flighsuits until I came across this jacket. It was in the price range I was going for.

I hope it takes to the water well and grains up a bit.

While still waiting on my GW Werber . . .

Nice pick up on the 1401. But please post photo's of your GW Werber when received. IMHO, Werber's patterns epitomize the classic A-2 design. Aside from the zip, do you know if your 1939 pattern differs from GW's 1941 1402 pattern?

Thanks,

stubbyeighth

Burnsie

I saw that on the FL - good thing scotrace didn't have that extra $300 laying around , huh? Killer price for an as new Eastman! Post some "after" pics when you've brought out some grain, a mint ELC that age must be a real smoothie.

kobol

I went with the Werber after trying on several jackets of varying contracts at GW. It just fit the best and felt the most comfortable for me. If I remember correctly, the cut is practically the same as the 42 model, but the label lettering is a different color, and as you mentioned, the zipper we will be using. Aside from that I will have to check with John again.

I thought the 1401 was a good deal and it really was practically new. I couldn't even find any wrinkles in the sleeves from being worn. The $300 included the shipping also and the seller was really great about sending it out quickly. Our timing was also perfect, I received the jacket yesterday and he received my check yesterday at about the same time. I'm glad I decided to take a final look here and on FL before buying the Flightsuits current military issue A-2. I stayed within my budget and got a nice jacket.