• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dubbin on horsehide?

cgreen

Hi everyone, quick couple of questions:

I use Saphir Saddle Soap and a horsehair dauber on my shoes and boots, and recently to clean a 1970s black leather cross-zip. When the lather is wiped off a certain amount of dirt always comes with it, but following that with a lightly damp cloth to take off any residual soap brings up more dirt still.

Is this actually dirt or am I taking off the finish? The color doesn't appear to have been affected and once everything is dry a coat of Renovateur brings back the cluster and depth of color.

Any thoughts?

Also, would you feel safe putting a light coat of dubbin on a freshly cleaned horsehide? The care program I follow with my boots is to once a year deep clean and condition them - the dubbin goes on, dries for 3-5 days, gets buffed with a horsehair brush, then Renovateur, let dry, buff with a brush, and hit with a dry cloth.

Again, your thoughts are appreciated, thanks very much.

CG

Micawber

Unless you are scrubbing hard and getting the hide wet I doubt you are removing the finish but it's impossible to tell without seeing it or some photos.

Keep dubbin for footwear even a small amount could potentially leave a jacket rather greasy and sticky. Leather treatment is one of the most common subjects to be discussed here with some preferring this product while others another. Pecards, Renapur are but two commonly mentioned. A waltz through past threads will likely throw further light on the matter.

cgreen

Thanks Micawber, much appreciated. I figured the dubbin might not be suitable - and I have indeed gone down the cleaning/moisturizing rabbit hole. Lots of products, lots of opinions, no consensus. Everyone has terrific methods that work for them.

Micawber

Thanks Micawber, much appreciated. I figured the dubbin might not be suitable - and I have indeed gone down the cleaning/moisturizing rabbit hole. Lots of products, lots of opinions, no consensus. Everyone has terrific methods that work for them.
Won't be long before you have experimented and tried a few ;)

Micawber

There are so many variables such as leather, tanning, finish, climate, temperature that means what one person finds satisfactory another will not.