• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dry rot on a G-1?

jschare

A couple of days ago, I purchased a G-1 on ebay for $123 USD. A public thanks to Andrew who has identified it as a California Sportswear G-1 from 1960. I received it today and it's a very nice jacket, however, there is a really hard piece of the leather on the back, in between the shoulder blades. It's almost as hard a shoe leather and not very pliable. It makes the jacket sit kind of funny when wearing also. My question is, any idea why this is? Could it be dry rot? Ideas on how to soften it? Here's a pic. The circle is why the hard spot is.

DSCF0654a.jpg

m444uk

Dry rot is where the leather starts to turn to powder, often reddish.

G-1's from the 50's and 60's are really durable chrome tanned goatskin. Some leather treatment like Picards will soften it up.

I can't tell from the pic if your jacket is goat or cowhide ?

jschare

m444uk said:
Dry rot is where the leather starts to turn to powder, often reddish.

G-1's from the 50's and 60's are really durable chrome tanned goatskin. Some leather treatment like Picards will soften it up.

I can't tell from the pic if your jacket is goat or cowhide ?

Goat

Peter Graham

Doesn't look like dry rot. An odd place for it too. Maybe someone tried to dry it out over a radiator or in front of a fire ?

ciddu

I suggest Pecard as well - it worked wonders on my jackets. It should soften the leather and prevent cracking.